1748089 Members
4673 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LeftHand P4300 license problem

zamorano
Occasional Contributor

LeftHand P4300 license problem

We have just buy a refurbished HP P4300 SAN (AT016A) with two nodes. Previous owner used it as ESXi virtualization cluster, so SAN/iQ software is not installed. We're trying using the HP StoreVirtual Quick Restore DVD, but it's asking us for a license file. We contact HP with SAN data to get a copy of the license file, and they ask us for a invoice. We send it to them, but previuos owner is no the original buyer, so HP does not want to give us the licenses. Anyone knows how to make this SAN to work?

We think that HP is wrong: we have payed for the SAN solution, and they are not selling the software alone, so it makes no sense not to give us the license if we're proving that we buy the SAN.

7 REPLIES 7
KurtG
Regular Advisor

Re: LeftHand P4300 license problem

Shouldn't the company you bought the system from be the one you should address this issue to? If you bought "a working P4300 system" they cleary has not delivered. For all HP knows the system has been stolen after they shipped it?

(I'm not saying it is stolen)

KurtG

zamorano
Occasional Contributor

Our supplier excuse itself saying that they only sell the hardware, and I know that they also don't have the software. I'm trying to get a copy of the invoice of the original buyer, but it seems dificult due to private information laws, and I'm not sure that even with this invoice HP give me the license.

I don't want to loose 3.000 тВм, so if this does not work I'm thinking about buying VSA licenses and install them in the SAN nodes. Any one has any other idea? It's possible to buy the original SAN/IQ licenses? How much diferent is performance using VSA instead of using original SAN/IQ?

KurtG
Regular Advisor

The P4300 is a bundel with hw & sw (sku#AT016A). You can not buy just the hardware by itself from HP. 

Seems like youre supplier has delivered just half of the product, missing out the sw part.

KurtG

oikjn
Honored Contributor

yes I agree, if they said they were selling that SKU# they only gave you 1/2 the product.  I'm not sure if HP allows for license tranfers so they might not help at all since they would only help the original buyer.

If the person selling you the hardware said it was just hardware and came with no software and you bought it anyway, you may be screwed  The licenses/software is required to function and if you bought it knowing it didn't come with that, you made a costly mistake.  Just so you know, even if you get a copy of the software, it will not function without the license key.  I believe the software is freely available for download on the P4000 website.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

" Previous owner used it as ESXi virtualization cluster, so SAN/iQ software is not installed" That is not a valid statement. SAN/iQ is the software that runs the SAN. To say they didn't use SAN/iQ is impossible unless they did not use the SAN as a san and just used them as physical servers... which nobody would ever do since you could buy the equivalent hardware for ~1/10th the cost of the P4300 package.
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

While this seems like a very odd issue, my advise would be to find a reputable local HP Authorized partner, preferably one with a HP Storage Specialization. HP Reseller & Service Provider partners tend to be able to escalate things in ways you can't as a end customer. Plus, if you can physically present the hardware to them, they can likely work with HP to verify and resolve the issue.

Ideally, if the company you bought the SAN from is HP authorized, you should have them escalate it to their HP Partner Business Manager for assistance. If they're not HP authorized, then you'll need to find an authorized partner to help you.

Keep in mind, however, if you engage a partner that you didn't buy the equipment from, you'll very likely have to pay the HP Partner and/or HP for this support assistance if your system doesn't have valid support coverage.

FYI - assuming you've already contacted HP, make sure you have any and all case numbers noted, as the authorized partner will be required to show that you've opened an unresolved support case before they can attempt any escalations.

Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

Also found this link as I was responding to someone else with a similar problem, appears to describe how to generate the feature license key files you're looking for. Hope this helps (I unfortunately don't have a P4000 to test this one on!)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?prodSeriesId=3936136&objectID=c01852189
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.