New Discussion юеВ

LeftHand Server Hardware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

LeftHand Server Hardware

Hello,

is it planned that the hardware of the LeftHand appliances will be migrated to ProLiant?

Thanks for advice.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
9 REPLIES 9
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: LeftHand Server Hardware

Hi Patrick,

The LeftHand appliances are already on ProLiant hardware, the DL185 G5 storage server. Previously they were on DL320S and DL380 G4 platforms.

Cheers, Mike.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,

oh that's nice! Thanks for you reply.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Bobby  Gillette
Occasional Advisor

Just wish they would post retail costs for each default module, then should management give the go-ahead during the POC, we could contact HP to customize etc...
George Streeter
Occasional Contributor

They kind of are all ready. The P4300 has an American Megatrends BIOS. They look like an HP case except for the front cover. The hint is the low end modules that were Lefthand branded they used to sell were Dell. ;) The higher models were HP and branded as HP with SAN IQ preinstalled. You could even buy the OS to install on your HP DL380.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"You could even buy the OS to install on your HP DL380"

Unless yet again something has changed...

The Lefthand OS is NOT available for sale to put on your own hardware. There is a virtual appliance version that is free though so if you want to run vmware on a DL380... you can use the appliance.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I was able to take a closer look at three P4500 appliances at the Onsite Lab in Munich. Standard DL185 Hardware with a very expensive looking aluminium frontcover. Yes, aluminium. That would explain the high list price. ;)

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Give it away for recycling.

When I was working for a corrugated cardboard manufacturer I learned that we had a shredder to scale down 'manufacturing errors'.

The shredder was a separate cost unit that was making money because it was possible to sell the material to the producers of raw paper.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Hi Patrick

What you are buying with a LeftHand P4000 solution is not just the DL185.
The main part is the very intelligent SAN/IQ software that already includes all features that you have to be purchased separately with other SAN solutions.
These SW features are:
- Snapshot
- Network RAID Synchronous Replication
- Remote Copy Asynchronous Replication with Bandwidth Throttling
- Multi-Site HA/DR Solution Pack Synchronous Replication
- Online Volume Migration
- Thin Provisioning

For more details see the QuickSpec on
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13254_emea/13254_emea.html

and the manual section on
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3936136

Cheers
Pete
I love storage
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Pete,

thanks for you replay. That the P4x00 is more then a DL185 G5 was clear. My original question was relating to the hardware. That the main part is done by SAN/iQ was clear to me. :) My sales colleagues had concerns about the hardware, if it wasn't based on ProLiants. They thought that the hardware isn't from HP and that could be a problem for some customers if the buy a "HP Solution".

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick