New Discussion

Re: MPIO issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
bublik
Valued Contributor

MPIO issues

Hi,

I have SQL 2005 cluter setup with lefthand.

2 physical nodes, windows 2003 R2 standard. SQL 2005

I see all volumes in iSCSI initiator but not in the explorer. It was working for a quite some time but after we have installed some MS updates and rebooted we started to have those errors.

MS Updates

Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer must be restarted. Until this computer has been restarted, Windows cannot search for or download new updates: - Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP for x64-based Systems (KB2518864)- Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB973825)- Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB943729)- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP for x64-based Systems (KB982168)- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP for x64-based Systems (KB2418241)- Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB954459)- Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x64 (KB963707)- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP for x64-based Systems (KB976570)- Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB2544521)- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Frame

Any of this updates can cause this problem?

Event viewer shows these messages:

================================

A Path Verification request to a device on \Device\MPIODisk3 that is controlled by HP P4000 DSM for MPIO has failed. This may indicate a Path Failure.

Initiator failed to connect to the target. Target IP address and TCP Port number are given in dump data.

Timeout waiting for iSCSI persistently bound volumes. If there are any services or applications that use information stored on these volumes then they may not start or may report errors.

=================================

5 REPLIES 5
Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

Do you see the drives in disk management?

bublik
Valued Contributor

No, they are appear as "unreadable". I have tried to rescan, refresh.

I do see drives in target as connected, persistent targets are there. Sessions are connected. If I look into lefthand cmc I do see 6 sessions to each volume from that server which is right number with multi-path and policy I have configured.

I will try to uninstall each MS update and reboot that host. 

bublik
Valued Contributor

OK. I just discovered that even though I am unable to see the disks I was able to fail over to this host in the cluster. After fail back I can see the disks. so functionality wise everything is working but I still receive these errors which are very disturbing:

A Path Verification request to a device on \Device\MPIODisk1 that is controlled by HP P4000 DSM for MPIO has failed. This may indicate a Path Failure.

------------------------

Initiator failed to connect to the target. Target IP address and TCP Port number are given in dump data.

bublik
Valued Contributor

could someone confim what values HP recomends for these registries:

clustered environment

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Disk
TimeOutvalue

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Class\{4D36E97B-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Parameters

LinkDownTime

bublik
Valued Contributor