StoreVirtual Storage
1752591 Members
3498 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Manager stuck starting/stopping - Management group thinks there is no manager.

Steven Vallarian
Occasional Contributor

Manager stuck starting/stopping - Management group thinks there is no manager.

Just brought a p4500 back online after it being off the network for about 6 months.

When I log into the 9.5 CMC, I get two messages:

The following systems report that they are running managers in a management group, but the management group thinks they are not running managers:

sata.offsite.com (192.168.21.12)

followed by:

The following management groups report that this system is not running a manager, but the system does not agree:

sata.offsite.com (192.168.21.12)

I've tried to remove the sata unit from the management group, but that yields the error message:

Could not find the system with serial number 00:24:xx:xx:xx:xx

I've logged into the unit directly over ssh and tried to stop the manager from there, but it complains about a loss of quorum may occur and won't let me do it. Rebooting the unit didn't help anything either.

I'm running 8.1 on the remote unit.

8 REPLIES 8
bryan_hadzik
Frequent Advisor

Re: Manager stuck starting/stopping - Management group thinks there is no manager.

Do you need the data on the boxes? or are you starting clean?

Steven Vallarian
Occasional Contributor

Re: Manager stuck starting/stopping - Management group thinks there is no manager.

I don't need any data on the boxes at all.
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

If you dont need any of the data just delete the cluster and then remove them from the managment group.

See if that works for you.

Markkrol
Regular Visitor

Hi Steven,

I've got exactly the same problem as you except that I get the error on a FOM. Unfortunally I can't delete / recreate the cluster.

I manually tried to remove and re-add the FOM to the management group but the process hangs. When I log back into the CMC I get the same error:

The following management groups report that this system is not running a manager, but the system does not agree:

I've tried to remove the sata unit from the management group, but that yields the error message:

Could not find the system with serial number 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Next week I will able to get some support from HP if no solution has been found untill then.

zaragozam
Occasional Visitor

I had exactly the same problem. I resolved it by disabling jumbo frames. (Thanks to another HP post in the web)

In my case I was setting up a new P4300G2 , 2-node cluster.

So, now the CMC allowed me to create the Management Group.

I wonder if it would be possible to enable Jumbo Frames now the Management group has been built.

I will let you know. .

Markkrol
Regular Visitor

Hello,

As I said in my previous post I contacted HP to get some support. During the troubleshoot proces we discovered that it was a network issue. From my management server, where the FOM is running on hyper-v, I was able to ping the FOM and both Storage nodes. However, from both the storage nodes I wasn't able to ping the FOM(you can ping from the CMC). Thats why the process hangs while adding the FOM to the management group. I corrected the network issue and re-added the FOM. This solved my problem.

Mark

Gavin Raymen
Occasional Visitor

I had a vey similar issue with a pair of P4300s following an unexpected shutdown (UPS failure - ironically a UPS that I had requested a replacement for two months earlier).

My problem was the iSCSI switches had booted up with default configs.
I restored the config from backup but for some reason the second switch was missing the Jumbo frames setting on the iSCSI VLAN.

Consequently the SAN nodes couldn't communicate properly.

As a quick fix I shutdown the node with the error which got me back up and running.
On checking the switch config I saw the issue - enabled Jumbo frames and booted the SAN node back up again.

Volumes synced and everything was back to normal.

mhardcastle1

I have the same issue, we had a power falure and 3 nodes went offline.  I need to keep the data.  Do you have any idea's ?

Thanks

Mark