1752808 Members
5731 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating Raw Lun's

ccavanna
Advisor

Migrating Raw Lun's

Hi, I am getting down to the end of my server migration project. I have a few raw luns that I need to migrate to the new p4500 Tier1 storage cluster from the old NSM 2120 G2 Tier1 cluster. Some of these raw volumes are the actual boot drive of the server. Can I just migrate everything by changing what cluster I want it on and everything will stay up and running? We are running a mix of Esx / Esxi 4.1 and migrating to Esxi 5. Just looking for some insight on this.

2 REPLIES 2
David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

Re: Migrating Raw Lun's

Im no expert on this, but my understanding is that if they are on different clusters then it will not be a 'live' affair.

If you are using iSCSI boot then you will need to point the boot agent to an IP in the new cluster as from what I have seen you cannot iSCSI boot from the VIP as the agents do not normally understand the HP VIP and its multipath requirements.

I would suggest in this scenario that it would be best to organise some downtime and test one first :)

Other people on here may have some more info...

Regards.

David Tocker
ccavanna
Advisor

Re: Migrating Raw Lun's

Not doing any iscsi booting just have to transfer some old raw luns over to the new san cluster.