108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Motherboard replacement and licensing issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
JMan1
Advisor

Motherboard replacement and licensing issue

Hi, we had to replace a motherboard on one of our P4500 nodes.  Now I am getting the licensing alert saying it doesn't match and will stop working after so many days.

Is there a way to change the serial number on this to match the previous board?  i still have the chassis and everything else, only the motherboard has been replaced. 

We don't have software support on this node, unfortunately, only hardware.  Will HP swap the license out for us?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Of course you can change the serial number of the board and you really should do this, however, the license is based on the MAC address, this cannot be changed. Call HP support and let them create a replacement license.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JMan1
Advisor

Thanks for the response.  And they will do this even without a maintenance contract?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I don't know - but you are the owner of the license ... you need to ask.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JMan1
Advisor

Yes, I will. I just wanted to get feedback before I attempted to call them.  Last time I called them it was a horrible experience.

It took a week just to get an initial response from them, then another 3-4 weeks to get connected with support.  Trying to not repeat that if possible.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

please let us know how it comes out.

If you replaced the motherboard on your own outside of support I could easily see them not allowing you to change the mac address as I can see them saying the node is what is licensed and if its dead the license is too unless you get support through them to replace it.

Its why I like the VSAs :)  hardware is no longer an issue and we can't be held over the fire like that.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

you need to send mail to the licensing portal

https://myenterpriselicense.hpe.com/cwp-ui/static/contactus

with the new MAC address explaining your problem

Regards

JMan1
Advisor

I was able to get them on the phone and they relicensed the node.  No problem there.  One thing to note though.  When they sent me the file, the name of the file was "License key_xxxxxxxx.dat" (replace the x's with the random number they generated).

The CMC would not let me import this.  The reason was that the MAC address of the appropriate node needs to be in the filename and you need to replace the colons with periods.  So, I changed the file name to "License key_xxxxxxxx_XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.dat", replacing the "X" with the MAC address of the node needing the license.  Also note there is a period in between each "XX".  Once i did that, I was able to import the license key.  Thanks for all the input.

JMan1
Advisor
Solution

FYI, this is the information I used to contact them.

https://myhplicensing.hp.com/cwp-ui/auth/login

1-800-538-1733