Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreVirtual Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a cluster to a new management group

SOLVED
Go to solution
fourg
Advisor

Moving a cluster to a new management group

Have a P4000 management group with 4 clusters and a total of 17 nodes.  Would like to move 2 of these 4 clusters to a new management group.  What is the best path to take?

4 REPLIES
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Moving a cluster to a new management group

I don't think there is a method for migrating clusters to a new management group. you will have to migrate the LUNs from the nodes and destroy those clusters and then remove those nodes from the management group and then create a new management group.

might I ask why you want to split out the management group?
fourg
Advisor

I'd prefer to simplify the upgrading process which I understand can only be done per management group within CMC.  Right now going through upgrades on 17 nodes all at once feels a bit like "too many eggs in one basket".

oikjn
Honored Contributor

that sounds like a decent plan.  You might want to ask support if they have some backdoor way to re-program a cluster to a new management group.  If they can't/won't, hopefully you have enough spare space in those clusters where you can migrate all the LUNs off of a cluster and remove it to create a new management group and then do remote snapshots to move the LUNs to the new group.

fourg
Advisor

I went ahead with the upgrade to 10.5 for this 17 node management group and it went very smoothly!  Impressed that it only two an hour and a half to complete.