New Discussion

Multi-Subnet P4300 Management Group manager setup best practise

SOLVED
Go to solution
demstar_mate
Occasional Contributor

Multi-Subnet P4300 Management Group manager setup best practise

Hello everyone,

I have 4 P4300 node Management group that spans across 2 sites. The original plan was to deploy Network Raid 10 between sites, but due to the WAN latency it was not possible, therefore we created 2 standard clusters (1 at each site) and we now rely on application level high availability.

My issue is, if the WAN link fails, the remote site's cluster goes offline and LUNs become invinsible to my hosts over there, which where actively running virtual machines.

What would be the best practise for avoiding such problems? Perhaps create 2 separate management groups, so that quorum doesn't fail at the remote site when WAN link fails?

My target is having 2 active sites whatever happens, while preserving the ability of doing remote copies and snapclones between sites

regards,

Mat I.

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Multi-Subnet P4300 Management Group manager setup best practise

you guessed it.  BP is to have two management groups.  You could have both in the same, but there is almost no benefit and as you said, you then have a quorum issue to deal with...  and that can't be addressed without a THIRD site!  Just split each site into its own management group and call it a day.

demstar_mate
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your fast reply.

how about the the various remote snapshot features? would i still be able to perform such operations between 2 different management groups?

oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

yes, remote snapshots work totally fine across two management groups.  The only downside of the two groups instead of one is that you have to configure a 2nd set of user accounts and IF you want your servers to connect to the remote site you will have to set up computer accounts for them and have them connect to the VIP of the remote cluster.  You can do a controlled or scripted failover to a remote snapshot across management groups as long as the iSCSI initiators are configured to connect to both sites.  There is an HP document about this setup.