StoreVirtual Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multisite Cluster HP StoreVirtual 4530 4TB MDL SAS Storage (F3J69A)

CB221
Occasional Advisor

Multisite Cluster HP StoreVirtual 4530 4TB MDL SAS Storage (F3J69A)

Need some information on  2 x HP StoreVirtual 4530 4TB MDL SAS Storage(F3J69A)

Each node has 4TB 6G 7.2K x 12 disks.

Looking for confirguration on each node as follows for a RAID 10 cluster (if one node goes down everything keeps running):

NODE 1 - StoreVirtual 4530 - RAID 6 (Hardware) local 4TB x 6 - 8TB = 16TB useable space (RAID6)

NODE 1 - StoreVirtual 4530 - RAID 6 (Hardware) local 4TB x 6 - 8TB = 16TB useable space (RAID6)

NODE 2 - StoreVirtual 4530 - RAID 6 (Hardware) local 4TB x 6 - 8TB = 16TB useable space (RAID6)

NODE 2 - StoreVirtual 4530 - RAID 6 (Hardware) local 4TB x 6 - 8TB = 16TB useable space (RAID6)

So this should give 32 TB available space per node in a RAID 10 cluster.

I`m looking to use a multisite stretched cluster over 2 sites (1GbE WAN connection different subnets).

Is it possible to use just 2 nodes with a multisite stretched cluster, as I know when it was Lefthand it was sold as "multisite" SANs, that doesn`t appear to be the case now?

3 REPLIES
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Multisite Cluster HP StoreVirtual 4530 4TB MDL SAS Storage (F3J69A)

think the default setting is a 12 disk raid 6 node so you only lose 2-disks as opposed to 4-disks.  

That said, you can definitely have a multi-site cluster with two nodes.  The store Virtual nodes don't really care where they are as long as they can communicate together at the required rates/latency, they could be in the same rack, or in different countries.  

You say you have 1Gb WAN, so that is good, but latency will also be a concern, and I assume that 1Gb is shared with the rest of your company, or is that actually dedicated to the SAN?  Also, multi-site requires a THIRD site for quorum or you might as well just do two-site remote snapshot.

CB221
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanks for reply.

1Gb WAN link is being used for the VMware environment only between two sites, i.e VLANs - Management network, Storage, vMotion etc.

I don`t have a third site at the moment (only two). Is there anyway around this, ie manual failover if required if a site goes down to keep everything running with a FOM or virtual FOM on each site?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

You COULD use a virtual manager, but its a bit of a contradition to want a true multi-site cluster and yet not impliment it correctly and require manual failover...  at that point you might as well just do remote snapshots as its going to be a lot simpler to impliment and your primary site will work faster as well.

It doesn't require much resources, so you can spool up a node in a cloud provider or rent some rack space or a server instance n a colo somewhere to provide you with that third site if your company doesn't have one.  I would highly recommend that you NOT impliment a multi-site SAN unless you can get a real FOM going.