108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NSM 2120 iscsi and Vmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
joemagjr
Occasional Contributor

NSM 2120 iscsi and Vmware

I have successfully connected to my SAN using an HBA card from my Dell 1950 server (I have 2 servers with dual port NICS) Vmotion HA are enabled and work wonderfully.

Under the CMC, can only see 2 iscsi connections coming from the Dell servers. Should I be able to see all four connections? Under vmware I also only see one of the 2 iscsi connections.

Anyone have thought on why I only see 2 connections and not 4?
5 REPLIES 5
Gauche
Trusted Contributor
Solution

To have nic/switch/hba port failover from your esx servers working you should see 4 iSCSI sessions (2 from each ESX server).
You have to explicitly set that up from your ESX server though. The two ports on your HBA are not like network card ports that you just bond, they are two different iSCSI initiators. You have to setup the 2nd port to be allowed to authenticate to the SAN and you have to configure that storage adapter in ESX to connect to it.
Once it's done right you should see 4 sessions (each from different iSCSI iqns) on you SAN, and you should see two paths to each LUN/Volume in ESX.

BTW, if you are using ESX 4 you should enable round robin as the path policy, you'll get better bandwidth to the SAN.

Hope that helps
Adam C, LeftHand Product Manger
joemagjr
Occasional Contributor

So if I understand this correctly,On the existing SAN, I show 2 servers, Server A and Server B, each with one iscsi connection. I should add 2 additional iscsi connections (to each volume/each lun) by adding an additional server A and Additional server B, my end result should be;

Server A
Server Aa

Server B
Server Bb

Santhosh D
Valued Contributor

you can use the other n/w port to connect to the second controller/storage processor and this will help you for a Failover in Active passive and load balancing in Active/Active.

It depends on the Iscsi Array you have...
Gauche
Trusted Contributor

"I should add 2 additional iscsi connections (to each volume/each lun) by adding an additional server A and Additional server B, my end result should be;
Server A
Server Aa
Server B
Server Bb"

Exactly,
Or as an alternative create
Server A (using CHAP)
Server B (using different CHAP)

And configure both initiators for each server to use the corresponding chap settings.
That way you have represent each server as just one server with two initiators.

The Chap way is my preferred method because it is more secure and more closely matches the "server" concept inside of the CMC, so it is easier to use IMHO.
Adam C, LeftHand Product Manger
joemagjr
Occasional Contributor

My issue is solved. thanks for the solution
Mark