StoreVirtual Storage
1748185 Members
4613 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need some HP Lefthand config help for my vSphere 4.1 environment...

jackblackattack
Occasional Contributor

Need some HP Lefthand config help for my vSphere 4.1 environment...

I assigned IP addresses to both my P4300 Left Hand NODES.

I then installed the CMC Central Management Console. I was also able to discover both nodes.
Below I have a few questions...

1) I know there is mention of configuring virtual IP load balance, what is that?

2) Do I create one management group for both nodes?

3) How is the redundancy handled?

4) Does one node replicate to the other?
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Need some HP Lefthand config help for my vSphere 4.1 environment...

Are both the P4300's in the same location?

If so, then you probably will want to end up with 1 management group with 1 cluster.

You CAN create 2 management groups, but this would depend upon your immediate and/or future goals for this storage.

Redundancy is handled internally by the way you configure your volume. You can select the network RAID level of choise, in your case, the best would be nRAID 10.

Depending upon how you configure your volume...(your nRAID setting) will determine how your data becomes protected. nRAID 10 is 2 way mirroring, so a copy of the data you write is always available so if either node ever failed, all your data would still be available.

If you use nRAID 0, then you are basically striping data across both nodes with no copy. Just like RAID0 with 2 or more hard drives...

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Need some HP Lefthand config help for my vSphere 4.1 environment...

1.) When setting up a Lefthand Cluster, a Virtual IP (VIP) needs to be configured. A VIP is required for iSCSI load balancing and fault tolerance. One NSM node will act as the VIP for the cluster, if this node fails, the VIP function will automatically failover to another node in the cluster.

The VIP will function as the iSCSI portal, ESX servers use the VIP for discovery and to log in to the volumes

2.) Yes, if you plan to use them both in one cluster. It depends on your needs.

3.)Again, depends on how you set it up. Network RAID 0 provides no internode redundance (both in a cluster and one fails, then boom...your data's not available). Network RAID 2 can handle one node failing, but each byte takes up twice the space.

4.)Yes they do, but this is handled internally on the Lefthand Software.