Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreVirtual Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need the FOM a VSA Licence?

Dragonvalor
Occasional Visitor

Need the FOM a VSA Licence?

Hi together.

in the storage area I´m a beginner and my question is:

I built up a system with two storages ( 4730)  and now the best practise say that I need a FOM. So I installed the FOM as a Hyper-V virtual machine. If I want to add the FOM to the management group the cmc said something about a 1tb promotional VSA licence. Do I have to buy another licence for the FOM?

THX

Pad

3 REPLIES
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: Need the FOM a VSA Licence?

Hi

FOM is a node with out storage it does not need a license

it's just for quorum.

Regards

oikjn
Honored Contributor

no license required.  sounds like you might have installed a VSA install instead of a FOM.

HPEStorageGuy
HPE Blogger

Hi Pad, As others have said, the FOM doesn't require a license. The 1TB VSA is not what you want. How many nodes do you have? If you have 3 or more, you probably don't need the FOM. The except would be if you have a stretched cluster. I have a blog post I recently did that has a link to the new VSA architecture white paper. Since this is all new to you, I highly recommend you read it. You can also look around my blog for other posts about StoreVirtual VSA as there is a lot there you can learn from.

Also, specific to quorum - you can download the FOM on the HPE Software Depot.  A new feature that I think started with LeftHand OS v12.5 is that you can use an NFSv3 file share as your quorum witness. The FOM is a VM so you have to install it on a host other than your existing VSA nodes.  The NFSv3 file share also would need to be on a host that is not you VSA nodes but it isn't a VM and probably an easier option.