StoreVirtual Storage
1752350 Members
6353 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

New! HP StoreVirtual 4130 & 4330 models,'Lefthand OS' 10.0, Fibre Channel connectivity

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

New! HP StoreVirtual 4130 & 4330 models,'Lefthand OS' 10.0, Fibre Channel connectivity

HP last Friday announced name changes, two new model's based on the Gen8 platform, Fibre Channel connectivity options and 'Lefthand OS' 10.0. Available on December 4th...   (Lefthand OS 10.0 only for P4000 G2 platforms?  Ouch!)

Around the Storage Block Blog

10 REPLIES 10
katedavis
HPE Blogger

Re: New! HP StoreVirtual 4130 & 4330 models,'Lefthand OS' 10.0, Fibre Channel connectivity

LeftHand OS 10.0 will be supported on all HP LeftHand P4000 G2 platforms as well as the new 3rd generation HP StoreVirtual models. LeftHand G1 models are past their end of updates period and so we will not support 10.0 or any future releases on the G1 platforms.

We will provide an outline of all supported models in the updated Compatibility Matrix that will be made available in early December.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: New! HP StoreVirtual 4130 & 4330 models,'Lefthand OS' 10.0, Fibre Channel connectivity

thanks kate.

I see some info is starting to come out about features.  Did SMI-S compatability make it into the mix?  I know this is a big thing for full compatability for the M$ virtual machine manager in 2012.

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

SMI-S is not part of LeftHand OS 10.0 release.  I'm sure there will be a set of release notes closer to when we ship it and it will have further details on what is included. 

Our engineering team is actively working on SMI-S and it's expected in a future release but we can't discuss specifics.  Also, there's some work on the Microsoft side that is required.  They don't support our type of iSCSI target today with System Center-Virtual Machine Manager in WS2012. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

can't win them all :-/  Glad to hear its at least getting worked on.  I've been happy with the Lefthand solution so far, but hopefully you guys can keep up with the features the other players are including such as the SMI-S support and eventually de-dupe/compression. 

My support is up for renewal at the end of this month so I'll be renewing before v10 comes out, but I hope HP continues to put the resources into the Lefthand product as it really is a wonderful thing.

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

Would we be able to add FC to P4500 G2 nodes?

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

My understanding from Kate Davis (Prod Marketing Mr) is that you can not upgrade G2 to FC.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

This is indeed correct... Could ask it today at the Tech Tour in Houston... Only G3 models will have FC host connections...

Important to know is that the iSCSI backend must be 10Gb...

In some kind of way U can connect via FC to G2 models... The G3 models with FC can act as some kind of gateway to G2 nodes in another cluster interconnected via iSCSI backed... If this is what U really want...

Tests must confirm however the performance of these kind of solutions...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

Just noticed the new 10.0 user guide and a few others has been posted on the support site here.

HP still don't really seem to have their Storage naming/branding worked out do they?

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

We have it all pretty sussed out - though not all of it has gone public.  Also, in a company of > 300,000 people, it takes a bit of time to get everyone that might say "HP LeftHand" on the same page - that it's now HP StoreVirtual.  :-)