1748114 Members
3479 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New P4900 announced: SSD Based!

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

New P4900 announced : SSD Based!

Check out Calvin Zito's latest post about the new P4900 SSD based system, with more details in the latest revision of the HP P4000 G2 LeftHand SAN Solutions specs page.

It's got 8 x 400GB MLC SAS SSD drives per node, giving 6.4TB of raw space. It'll set you back a mere ┬г133k according to my initial google searches!  Ouch!

I'm hoping SANiQ will eventually be intelligent enough to auto-transition blocks between storage types, moving hot blocks to the SSD based nodes, moderate usage data to the SAS nodes, and data that's never used over to SATA based nodes. That'd be nice.

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
IainS
Frequent Advisor

Re: New P4900 announced : SSD Based!

I think they had better do something like that and soon. Equalogic and other vendors already do this, and it is a pretty important feature.

I have heard they don't have much intereest in doing this but frankly I've already bought an Equalogic unit because of it. I didn't want to get more P4000 stuff without being able to do storage tiering - and no copying entire volumes between tiers is not good enough, although better than not having it at all.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Equalogic and other vendors already do this,

HP's 3PAR does this with Adaptive Optimization:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/software/3par/aos/index.html

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

Perfect, so HP already know how to do it, now hurry up and wedge the 3PAR technology in to SAN/iQ already!

The new HP Gen8 series servers are quite interesting, particularly with the new SmartArray disk controllers being heavily geared towards SSD disks and their associated high I/O throughputs, and support of double the number of drives. Sounds like a P4500 G3 could have quite a speed and capacity improvement over the existing lines! 

IainS
Frequent Advisor

Yes, because effectively 3PAR for most P4000 users is just another vendor. Hence reinforcing my point.

The problem for HP is that to distinguish 3PAR from P4000 they may not want to implement these features. But I hope that isn't the case.

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

HP announced there will be a big feature-upgrade for P4000 this year, but details have only been reveiled to a specific public (NDA's signed)

Northwoods
Frequent Advisor

When discussing futures two weeks ago, there was no information on anything with the P4000 via NDA discussions on anything new outside of the released P4900. Looks like there's a breakdown in what the presenter's know or don't know in this case.