1752660 Members
5802 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New to VSA Questions

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

This is a ‘greenfield’ server cluster and storage installation.

I’ll wait and see how easy it is etc. JJ

I’ll still look at the HP videos and check for other tuts.

Thank you, Tom

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

I'll point out too, that currently HP only do up to 600GB capacity in the 15k rpm SAS disks.  :-)

oikjn
Honored Contributor

that doesn't really matter for VSAs unless you are talking about 600 for their servers as well.

Honestly, if performance is that critical that you need 15kRPM disks, you might want to look into the cost difference in getting the 10TB nodes that include adaptive optimization and then you can use a few SSDs and 10K or 7.2k disks and get some great performance.

mbilalkhaan

We have Two DL360 Hosts with 10K SAS drives, about 5 TB useable space. We are planning to add third host, most probably DL380 with 6 TB useable space - 15 K drives.

Assuming we go with 10 TB license, is there a way to divide Volumes on each server in a way that we can replicate Volume 1 on Host1 to Volume 1 on Host2, and, Volume 2 on Host1 to Volume 1 on Host 3? Basically I am trying to come up with a solution which provides H/A if one Host dies.

Thanks

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

I posted a blog late last week that has several StoreVirtual VSA demos.  While I have an engineering background, I've worked in marketing for over 25 years so I don't get a lot of "hands on" time with our storage products. These demos I did on my own so working with StoreVirtual VSA is pretty easy. I was using a remote system so I couldn't actually install the VSA from scratch but what I show is creating a cluster, creating volumes, snapshots and more.  Take a look - I hope they help.

And to emphasize what you've heard others saying, if you care about availability of your VSA cluster, you really have to have a (as in singular) FOM on a third server.  Anything less than doing that and you risk downtime and split brain. The NFS file share is the easiest to do.  I've heard of customers using a Raspberry Pi to do this.