Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P4000 Disaster Recovery with only 1 node

KFKGmbH
Advisor

P4000 Disaster Recovery with only 1 node

Hello.

I am TESTING different disaster scenarios and would like to know if there is a possibility to recover from a single node.

I have installed 2 nodes and 1 failover manager. If 1 node and the failover manager are lost, how can I recover the Management Group? The volume is online until the ESX is restarted, and the virtual machines on the volume are still running, so there should be a way to build a new Management Group with a newly installed second node and a newly installed failover manager?

I am not sure if the failover manager or the virtual manager is the best option when working with only 2 nodes, but I have discovered that it is difficult to get rid of the virtual manager if only 1 node is online?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Thorsten
4 REPLIES
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

Re: P4000 Disaster Recovery with only 1 node

Was your volume replicated two ways?
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

I am assuming that your data is replicated two ways. There is a way to recover your data by forcing a single node quorum, but support would have to do that for you. Failover manager is a better option since it is independent of the two nodes. If one node goes down you would still have quorum. Virtual manager is the last option, and you would not start it in a two node cluster (as in your scenario ) until a node fails. If one node fails, you can start the virtual manager on the running node and regain quorum.
KFKGmbH
Advisor

Hello.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

I think I have found the solution.

Failover manager should be the better option than the virtual manager. If one of the two nodes fails and the failover manager fails too, then quorum can be overwritten with the recoverquorum command. After that, a NEW second node and a NEW failover manager can be installed.

I wondered why I cannot recover the management group with only 1 of 2 nodes (when the failover manager has failed, too), even if all the data is available. But with the recoverquorum command, this scenario can be solved successfully.

Best regards

KFKGmbH
Advisor

Closed.