1752782 Members
5909 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P4000 iSCSI targets

P4000 iSCSI targets

Hi guys,
I have a issue im not sure is an issue or by design.
I have one ESX4 host with two vmkernel nics
in different port groups pointing to the iSCSI target for my VIP on the cluster. In the cluster i have a single volume. I have bound the two vmknics to the software iscsi initiator using esxcli command in ESX. What i dont understand is why im getting three paths to the LUN and not two. After looking about i noticed that along with the dynamic target listed in the ESX iscsi intitiator i also see a static target listed to the same volume. When i remove the static target and rescan the adapter the static target comes back.
I'm not sure if this is by design or im missing something.
Any help would be appreciated

DC
3 REPLIES 3
teledata
Respected Contributor

Re: P4000 iSCSI targets

Have you rebooted the ESX host since you configured the volume for multipath?

I found that if I had previously mapped volumes, and then configured multiple bound vmkernels I saw a 3rd path until a reboot of the host.

Paul Drangeid
TeleData Consulting, Inc.
http://www.tdonline.com

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply.
Funny you should mention the reboot as i just rebooted and it resolved the issue.
Thanks
DC
marcin_w
Advisor

Hi Douglas

I went through your post and hope you could help me. I just purchased the P4300 and need to configure it for the vSphere. Could you please tell me:
1. are both iSCSI kernels in the same subnet but just using two NICs? (currently I use multipathing but with a different iSCSI storage. Each VMkerenl port is configured with IP from different subnet. The P4000 network card bond (ALB - which is suggested) use only one IP - so shall I change the VMkernel config to IPs from the same subnet?)
2. Do you run the Virtual Manager appliance in your environment or it is not necessary?

Thanks
Marcin