StoreVirtual Storage
1751953 Members
4839 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P4000 network setup after adding 10Gbe NICs - Split iSCSI and replication traffic?

SOLVED
Go to solution
irofrank
Advisor

P4000 network setup after adding 10Gbe NICs - Split iSCSI and replication traffic?

Hi All,

Have a quick question. We have a client for whom we have purchased 10Gbe upgrade kit for their P4000 storage. It already has 2 x 1Gbe onboard ports. The upgrade will add 2 x 10Gbe. I have a certain configuration in mind, and would like input for anyone as to whether this configuration would work.

The plan is to bond the two 1Gbe ports together, and the two 10Gbe ports together. I plan to use the 10Gbe bond for iSCSI traffic, and use the 1Gbe bond for management AND replication traffic. What I'm not clear on is whether or not I will be able to use the 1Gbe ports for both replication and communication with the Centralized Management Console.

In the current configuration, the two 1Gbe ports are bonded and are being used for iSCSI, management and replication traffic. What I'm not sure about is whether iSCSI and replication traffic can operate on separate interfaces.

I've looked through the user guides and the networking best practice docs, but there doesn't seem to be any info about this specific configuration. Would appreciate any insight into this.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business) to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
HPstorageTom
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: P4000 network setup after adding 10Gbe NICs - Split iSCSI and replication traffic?

You can use the 1GbE bond for management traffic, but not for the replication traffic. The replication traffic will always go through the iSCSI SAN; i.e. in your case through the 10GbE bond.

Please don't forget to mark the 10GbE bond for the iSCSI traffic in the CMC.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

what Tom said.

This has been asked many time here...  the way this SAN was designed there is no way and no reason to split it out.  You should just dissable the 1Gb NICs as it will make your life simpler (aka easier) for managment and future troubleshooting.

irofrank
Advisor

Thanks for the info guys.