1748250 Members
3349 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4000 with 2 node cluster failover

samaoas
Frequent Advisor

P4000 with 2 node cluster failover

We have a 2 storage nodes of p4300. I have added this nodes in a cluster. created a 50 GB volume and assigned to my pc using iscsi initiator. Virtual manager is running under the management group. Now when i try to failover from node 1 to node 2 , the lun appears. But when i try to failback to node 1 , the lun disappears.
is there anything i am missing in the configuration. I have all the licenses installed in the box.
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The "Virtual Manager" must not be running when both storage nodes are active. Start it on the storage node that has survived to regain quorum and stop it, when the failed storage node has recovered.

If you want automatic failover, implement a "Failover Manager" (FOM) - that is a virtual machine which needs to run on a different system outside of the cluster.
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

Ok,If i have three storage nodes, then i run Virtual Managers on 2 nodes,, so in this situation,,, if one of my node fails,, then the virtual manager will automatically failover to another two surviving nodes ???

So with my existing setup with 2 nodes, i have to start manually the virtual manager on surviving nodes to regain the quoroum ??? Or i have to install the FOM in a diffrenet machine,, so this will take care about the automatic failover ??? Is it correct ...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If you have 3 storage nodes, you just start regular managers on all 3 of them and don't use a Virtual Manager or Failover manager at all. With Network-RAID10 or 10+1 your data can survive the failure of one node and the remaining two managers will retain quorum.

You can use a Virtual Manager for manual(!) failover *OR* a Failover Manager (which looks a bit like a storage node running a manager, but has no storage ;-) for automatic failover.
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

Ok,
From the client side, i have installed Microsft iscsi initiator. Do i need to install any multipathing software on the client side ??

Also i noticed one more event,, I have assigned a volume to the server and created a Drive on the OS,, then i unassigned the drive from CMC, but the drive still appears on the client . The drive goes when i totally delete the volume from CMC. It seems something is wrong. Do you have any idea ??
Jim Silvia
Advisor

You shouldn't need any additional software.

A reboot will clear out the old LUN that is no longer mapped.