108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4000 with vmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

Do we need a HBA on the server to connect with P4000 iscsi storage ??? or only the network card is ok?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can use one or more plain GigaBit NIC(s) and the VMkernel software iSCSI initiator.
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

Ok, Because i have seen on some documents they say that to use HBA cards for iscsi initiator.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

True, an iSCSI HBA can offload a server's CPU, but on the other hand: if you have 4, 8 or more CPU cores in a modern server... you often have plenty of CPU capacity, so the extra expenses or not always justified.
And it is necessary to check if and what iSCSI HBAs are supported with the P4000 system.
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

If we are using HBA, then how HBA get connects to iscsi box ???

Bonding:
Initally i have given two ip address to Nics and addedd the storage node into the CMC. Now when i try to enable bonding , it asks for one more IP address...
Why this ip address is required ??
Do we need 3 IP address for one box for bonding ??

At present we have no license purchased for multsite and clustering for the node. We will purchase additioanl nodes and license in the future.
So can we use standard cluster or multi site cluster ?? We need to add additional nodes in the future.
Please advice about best practises for clustering.

samaoas
Frequent Advisor

One More Question,

I have 2 Nos of P4300 G2. I have configured management group and craeted a cluster and added both the nodes inside the cluster. I have created a volume of 50 GB and presented to my PC. I have formatted the volume and assigned drive letter. But when i switch off the first node the volume disappears.
How to failover the volume to another node in the cluster ??