New Discussion юеВ

P4300 Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
marcin_w
Advisor

P4300 Configuration

Hi
I need to configure (I have never used the LeftHand) the P4300 G2 - I have the two unit set. It will be used only as ESX storage. I have been going through documentation and forums but still have some questions.
1. Virtual manager vs Failover Manager - which one shall I use? It seems that both do the same job but Virtual manger is easier to set up - I do not have to add VM. The documentation is not very clear...
2. I have a separate network for iSCSI traffic. Currently I am using 2 x IBM storage (for backup) and 1 x HP MSA 2012i for ESX in my environment. Please have a look at the attached file. The network was designed in such way in order to put the second IBM storage (there is a replication between two IBM storages) in the Building 2 for DR purposes. I want to put the first HP box in the B1 and the second in the B2. From the network perspective it is one site but physically it's two. From the documentation I know that can have two types of config: Single Site (1 subnetwork) and Multi-Site (2 subnetworks - in my case) - which one shall I use?
- in the case of Single-Site I would have to adjust config on the switches. I would have MPIO.
- is there any point of using Multi-Site? I wouldn't have to change anything on switches but (if I understand correctly) I would loose MPIO.
- is my idea of connections correct (Singe or Multi site)?
There is no routing to VLAN301/302 - I created them only to have access to both of them on the Switch C in the Building 2. Any suggestions?
3. I have P4300 with 450GB drives - does it come with a license for Multi-Site? The documentation says that I need a license for that.
4. I assume that the SAN/iQ 8.5 is installed. Shall I upgrade it to version 9?

I will appreciate all help.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
marcin_w
Advisor

Re: P4300 Configuration

Sorry, I have attached a wrong file.
BennyO
Advisor
Solution

Hi -
1. Each node will run it's own virtual manager, you will want to run the FOM on one of your ESX hosts so you have 3 participating in the cluster to maintain quorum.
2. If I were you I would use the single site and locate a node in each building. Put the nodes into the same cluster and setup your volumes with Network RAID-10. The hardware level RAID you can decide based upon needed IOPS and capacity. Calculate the RAID level on the nodes carefully as it cannot be changed after the fact without pulling all the data off the SAN and reconfiguring the RAID (which wipes all the data). Fortunately for you the MSA 2012i will show you IOP/s on the GUI, the MSA G2, they took that feature out. IOPs are what is used as the benchmark for performance in the P4000 land. Running nodes in RAID 5 you will get 2200 IOPs, RAID 10 you will get 2500 IOPs. Since you have the 450GB 15K drives you can probably run the nodes in HW RAID 5. Setup like this if a node fails or a building burns down all your data will be on the other node due to the NR10 keeping another copy on the other node. Plus you will get the added performance of having 2 nodes in the cluster. If you did not do this and kept just each node on it's own you are not getting the full features of the P4000 system. The nodes in the cluster should be on the same L2 VLAN, all iSCSI sessions should originate on that same L2 VLAN, you should not route your iSCSI sessions if at all possible.
3. Yes in the boxes with the nodes there will be a licese certificate. You have to go out to an HP site and register the node to get the license. You will need the Feature Key for each node that is shown in the CMC. It is an easy process.
4. SAN/iQ 9, absolutely. If you are running vSphere 4.1 you will get the storage offloading capabilites with SAN/iQ 9. There is better I/O utilizating with SAN/iQ 9 and VMware as well.
marcin_w
Advisor

Hello Benny
Thanks for the reply - very helpful.
Do you think that my network config and storage connection for a single-site config is ok or you would suggest some changes?
Thanks.
Marcin.
BennyO
Advisor

Is there a direct link between Switch A and Switch B? From your diagram it does not show one. I am asusming both fiber lines are active and carrying both VLANs. If it were me, I would put a 2Gbps Port-Channel between switch A and B, and do 2Gbps Port-Channels between switch A & C and B & C. Then turn on Spanning tree and let it determine which 2Gbps fiber port-channel to put into blocking mode. This will give more bandwidth for the SAN and provide redundancy in the event of switch failure in Building 1.
marcin_w
Advisor

There is no direct link - the traffic goes through the switch in Building 2. For the time being I will leave it as it is - I will add the port-channel link during the shutdown. Thanks.