1752800 Members
5621 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P4300 Issue - Adding a route caused issues

themind
Occasional Advisor

P4300 Issue - Adding a route caused issues

I have a 2 node P4300 SAN, worked fine for a couple years now.  The IP addresses are set up as a different network than my production network, so I've never had the ability for the SAN to email alerts to me.

I went into the CMC and just tried to add a route under Node #2 to test if that would allow the SAN to email to my production network, and upon clicking OK, it actually made my Failover Manager go offline, the route I added doesn't show up in the Routing tab, and it removed the route for "Net 0.0.0.0  Gateway 0.0.0.0  Netmask 0.0.0.0" as well.

I tried just clicking the TCP/IP tab and clicking OK to "re-set" the IP addressing to what it already is, but that 0.0.0.0 route isn't coming back into the Routing tab, and the Failover Manager still says "offline".

What can I do to fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor

if you could connect CMC from outside the network, why can't it connect to an email server? As long as the nodes have a gateway configured, they will be able to talk to an outside IP.
themind
Occasional Advisor

The CMC is connecting on a machine that has two NICs - one on production network and one on the P4300 network.

The nodes do not have a gateway configured...their gateway is 0.0.0.0.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix the route issue I have?  The Failover Manager says "Offline" in the CMC and the alarm for this in the CMC states this is related to Node #2 (which makes sense, because that's where I made the change).

themind
Occasional Advisor

I removed the Failover Manager from the Management Group, deleted it from disk in vSphere, reinstalled it and re-added it to the management group, and that resolved the "offline" issue.

However, I still see something that seems off to me (although the CMC gives no indication otherwise that it's an issue).  The 0.0.0.0 route that shows up on Node #1 is still missing from Node #2, and the status of each node has different text:

Node #1 Status (in Details tab of Node): Storage System Normal, Manager Normal, LeftHand OS Connection

Node #2 Status (in Details tab of Node): Storage System Normal, Manager Normal

Node #2 does not say "LeftHand OS Connection" in the status, and I don't know if it is supposed to.

The route missing concerns me, but maybe it would take rebooting the node to fix it?

As far as email goes...as stated before, the nodes are setup on a separate network, with no gateway to the production network.  This was done as best practice was to isolate the SAN to it's own network.  However, this method obviously creates a difficult scenario when trying to connect from production (so having to put a second NIC into a production PC to connect to the ISCSI network), and the email/snmp issues.  What's the best way to go about this so that I can do email/snmp from the SAN nodes to my production network?

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Can you add an SMTP relay on your jumpbox where you run the CMC? I do that in my lab just to get rid of the email alarms in the CMC. If your SMTP relay was pointing to an actual exchange you should get the alerts.