New Discussion юеВ

P4330 and management

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ing-Syst
Advisor

P4330 and management

Hi, guys.

I have a couple of P4330 with four Gigabit Ethernet ports.

I thought I can separate two interfaces in bond for management network, but... Documentation tells nothing about management (only LeftHand OS communication interface, but I think that it's not separate management interface), forums say that workstation with CMC should have either route to SAN or second NIC on SAN... (My SAN will not be connect with LAN.)

Documentation tells: "╨бonfigure a management network only if your storage systems have more than two NICs" and "When configuring a management interface on an HP Store Virtual Storage system, make sure that interface is on a separate network", and "When configuring a management interface on an HP Store Virtual Storage system, you must
designate the storage interface as the LeftHand OS interface for that storage system in the CMC".

What is management interface??? Which are variants for management of P4000? Are only two variants: CMC in SAN and CMC via route in SAN?

For P4000 upgrade, CMC must have access to Internet, therefore, if workstation with CMC is only on SAN, P4000 can't be upgraded, is it right?

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: P4330 and management

there are a lot of questions there and they have all been answered on this forum in the past.

Summary...  StoreVirtual was designed assuming you have a routed SAN w/ a gateway.  CMC doesn't need to be on the same gateway as the SAN.  Once you download the upgrade files through CMC you can upgrade a SAN w/out internet access, but the SAN always needs a working DNS.  If you really really needed an isolated SAN beacuse of some forced policy, you could always add a dedicated DNS and then take a laptop and connect it to the internet to download the CMC files and then connect that laptop to the SAN to update it.  The design of the SAN was made for INBAND management so there is no benefit to splitting out the management traffic because you could only split out the CMC portion and not the intra-node traffic which would be about as beneficial as having a dedicated NIC for SNMP access.  Just bond all available NICS on the SAN, install a good gateway/firewall for network access and setup rules accordingly and be done with it.

Ing-Syst
Advisor

oikjn

Thanks.

Ing-Syst
Advisor

One more question.

When I do a bond from two interfaces, can I assign an IP-address of one from these interfaces to bond? Should each interface in bond has own IP address or only bond should have own address?

If I do a bond in ALB mode from four interfaces, should I plug each interface to separate switch (four switches in all) or I can plug two links in one switch and two links in second switch (two switches in all)? If I plug four interfaces to four switches, should I link all four switches between them?

If I do two bonds, bond's addresses should be in different IP subnets, is it right?

a_o
Valued Contributor

By definition, a bond appears to the network as if it's a single NIC.
Think about it, makes sense right?

So it will need a single IP address.
When creating a bond in SAN/IQ, if one of the NICs already has an IP address, it will be used as the bond's address.
If not, you can specifiy the address after creating the bond.

The answers to your other questions depend on your network topology, and exactly what you're trying to achieve.

SAN/IQ offers Active/Passive, LACP 802.3d, ALB bonding.

However,  depending on  what you're looking for on the performance boost vs. redundancy spectrum YMMV.

Active/Passive will work with one switch, but will offer better redundancy with 2 or more switches. By it's nature, there's no  increased network bandwidth possible, as only one physical NIC is active at a time in the bond. When one NIC in the bond goes down, another takes over.

With LACP 802.3, will also work with one switch, but will offer better redundancy with 2 or more switches in the right topology. 802.3 offers increased network bandwidth because all the NICS are active at the same time. When the initiators have bonds and are using MPIO,  this is the ideal situation. This is usually used when there's only one switch.

ALB offers the best of both worlds, offering redundancy and increased network bandwidth.  It does not need bonds on the initiator side to get the performance boost from one NSM. It's better used with 2 or more switches. 
Offers increased network bandwidth because all the NICS are active at the same time. However, when the initiators have bonds and are using MPIO, you get increased redundancy and increased network bandwidth on both ends (Target and initiator)

In SAN/IQ, all IP addresses for bonds  have to be in the same subnet.

Are you thinking of a multi-site cluster?

Ing-Syst
Advisor

It is one-site cluster.

I plugged 4 NIC in two switches, then I connected switches by link and configured one bond with ALB mode.