1752805 Members
5828 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4500 Degraded RAID 5

wkhastings

P4500 Degraded RAID 5

Hello,

Our single P4500 experienced a RAID degradation yesterday evening. The replacement drive is currently rebuilding so we should be back up again shortly. The iSCSI connections to this unit were dropped when this degraded state occurred. Is this normal and are there any options for reconfiguring the array without the failed disk just to move forward?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

This is not normal. There should be a seamless failover with the internal RAID. Did the volumes go offline?
wkhastings

Yes, the volumes went offline.
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

You may want to contact support, did the storage server or manager services fail?

If you are using the MSFT software initiator, you may want to look at the maxrequestholdtime time per best practices and set it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01750146/c01750146.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
wkhastings

The storage server is inoperable but the manager status is normal.

This unit is handling vsphere virtual servers.

Working on contacting support.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

This is not normal at all. It sounds like more than just a hard drive failure. "Storage inoperable" alert status is sign of extreme latency.
wkhastings

We lost a second drive during the rebuild of the first failed drive.

What I'm getting from support is that I need to get firmware updated on the device in the hopes that maybe it'll be able to recover the last failed drive which maybe will allow the system to recover.
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Updating the firmware on the drives and the RAID controller together is a good idea. Though if you had a second drive fail during the rebuild, I'd be looking for my backup tape!

Good luck, I hope this works out for you!