1752689 Members
5307 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

P4500 G1's in production

Northwoods
Frequent Advisor

P4500 G1's in production

Who is running P4500 G1's in production and under support?

If you are running them, are you using them in a mixed generation cluster?

6 REPLIES 6
andre_muc
Occasional Advisor

Re: P4500 G1's in production

Hi,

we have 1 multi-site san bundle with G1 und G2 in production in one site and a G2 on a remote site, without any problems.

... ok, only the loss of space.

we use remote snapshots also without any problems.

Andre

mars_seven
Occasional Advisor

2 P4500 G1 (SAN/iq 9)

2 P4500 G2 (SAN/iq 9)

trying to downgrade 2 P4500 G2 SAN/iq 10 to SAN/iq 9 to work w/ current cluster.

RemyZ
Advisor

We run 30 G1 nodes in production (5 management groups). We do not run mixed clusters with G1/G2 nodes, but we do use G2 450GB and G2 600GB nodes mixed in one cluster.

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
oikjn
Honored Contributor

sorry to hyjack, but remy, why five management groups?  I could see multiple clusters or even maybe two management groups, but unless you have five sites or five isolated business groups, I don't know why you would want five managment groups

RemyZ
Advisor

The main reason we do not create big management groups is that updates of the software are always done management group wise. Did you ever update a management group with 14+ nodes? Our official maintenance window is not big enough (4 hours) to complete the updates. And you cannot start the update and head home, since the update will stop if a disk gets faulty in the mean time (yes, we experienced that multiple times).

Another reason is that in our philosophy one should have a management group per application. So management groups for Exchange, file services, ESX, backup, etc. In our case we have a per-site management group for Exchange.

Besides all that, the recommendation of HP is not to put more than 20 systems in one management group (source: http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03686039-2.pdf, page 113). In general, our management groups consist of 12 to 18 nodes. The G1 nodes are in management groups which are spread across multiple sites. 

Did I mention we have 106 production nodes (and counting) in 12 management groups (and 18 clusters)?

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
oikjn
Honored Contributor

that makes a lot of sense.  I was thinking you had 30 nodes with 5 groups which would mean ~6 nodes per group which seems a bit low and would have expected it in 2-3 groups, but I totally get your logic for your groups when you have 100+ nodes.