New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4500 G2 -- Software P/N?

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

P4500 G2 -- Software P/N?

Hello,

I purchased a Storageworks P4500 G2 from eBay. I received the unit with 12x1TB hard disks. In the chassis the P/N is AX700A, although this P/N comes with different hard disk configuration (my unit had 2 CPUs X5570, 48GB RAM and 12x1TB original HP hard disks)

I contacted my HP distributor and asked for a similar unit. They gave me a pricing for AX703A with 12x1TB hard disks refurbished ("HP Renew" with 12months support pack). The second unit has the SAN/iQ software license, althought the first unit doesn't. The license in the 2nd unit includes:

-----

- SAN/iQ Storage Clustering
- SAN/iQ Network RAID
- SAN/iQ Thin Provisioning
- SAN/iQ Application Integrated Snapshots
- SAN/iQ Remote Copy (asynch rep)
- SAN/iQ Multi-Site/DR Solution (synch rep)
- SAN/iQ Application Integration Solution Pack

-----

I contacted HP licensing support and asked them of they could help me out with the license of the first unit, they said they can't because I don't have the original proof of purchase. I asked them if they can let me know what is the Profuct Number for the software specifications I gave above in order to buy a license for my unit, but they told me to contact my HP distributor. Sad enough, my HP distributor can't help me with the P/N I'm asking.

Can anyone tell me what is the P/N of the software I should buy? Is it one of AX694-63101 // AX694-63105? If yes, what is the difference between these 2 versions of the software?

Sincerely,

George

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
13 REPLIES 13
a_o
Valued Contributor

First,  the software you've listed is just the standard feature set for SAN/iQ.

Your box seems to be a non-standard configuration of a P4500 G2 unit SAN node.
As a standalone unit, it's close to a HP AT010A -  HP LeftHand P4500 12TB SATA Storage System.

Without the included SAN/iQ software license, you just bought a DL180 server, as that's what the G2 is built on.
The software and it's 'license' is what makes the DL180 into a P4300/P4500 G2.

The original licensee probably still has the license under their "name" as far as HP is concerned.
I don't think there is a replacement only license for the AX700A or any other NSM appliance.

In any case, you're in luck because the SAN/iQ software can now be licensed as a software only option.
HP part#TA688BAE StoreVirtual license can be slapped onto that box or any other box for that matter and you can have the same functionality - albeit now limited to 10TB.

You see, HP is now positioning the product as a SDS (Software Defined Storage) product.
The product is now offered in tiers, based on functionality and capacity.

Hint... Check on the site from which you purchased the unit for this license- it might be cheapest route for you in this case.

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Hello a_o,

Thank you for your informative response. You mentioned that the software I've listed is just the standard feature set of SAN/iQ, are you referring to the P/N AX694-63101 // AX694-63105 or to the listing I gave:

-----

- SAN/iQ Storage Clustering
- SAN/iQ Network RAID
- SAN/iQ Thin Provisioning
- SAN/iQ Application Integrated Snapshots
- SAN/iQ Remote Copy (asynch rep)
- SAN/iQ Multi-Site/DR Solution (synch rep)
- SAN/iQ Application Integration Solution Pack

-----

If you are referring to AX694-63101 // AX694-63105, can you please let me know what do you mean by "Standard feature set"? If you are referring to the listing I gave, then this is whan I'm looking for and I want to see if any of the AX694-63101 // AX694-63105 covers me.

As for P/N TA688BAE, will that be compatible with the listing I gave above? Also what are it's differences from AX694-63101 // AX694-63105? I'm asking because there is a big price difference between them.

Sincerely,

George

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

When you purchased this box did they sell it as a Lefthand product? You might be able to go back to them and find the license agreement in the packaging. If not your only option would be to buy the VSA pack.

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Hello Emilo,

Thank you for your answer. It was bought as a standalone hardware unit, that's the reason why it was bought cheap. My question is this: Why buy the VSA package and not AX694-63101 or AX694-63105? I would appreciate an answer on this one, since the VSA package costs 5 times more than the cost of AX694-63101 or AX694-63105.

Sincerely,

George

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Make sure licensing will accept it.

Also see what version of the Saniq it will go up 2.

a_o
Valued Contributor

AX694-63101: HP P4300 P4500 STORAGE SYSTEM LTU AX694-63101
TA688BAE: HP Storevirtual Vsa Software E-LTU

These are all the same thing - in theory.

One is pre-packaged with the P4300/P4500 appliance box like the one that you just bought.
AFAIK, it can't be purchased separately from HP or resellers.
The other one can be purchased to turn any physical server into a HP P4300  or P4500.

AX694-63105 - HP StorageWorks P4300 P4500 G2 Media Quick and Restore Kit 9.0

All it is, is a CD/DVD with the SAN/iQ software. You can download this software for free from the HP website.

What you want is the license - LTU (License To Use)
Think of it as the activation code you'd apply to a Windows 8 installation.

When you install SAN/iQ, you get 45 or 60 days of full functionality - i.e,  all  of the features you listed.
After this trial period, the features stop functioning, but they can be re-activated by applying an LTU activation code.

I gave you a hint in my last post.  These LTUs can be purchased on the same site you purchased the P4500.
I would be reticent about buying the AX694-63101,  unless you can verify that it has not been activated. It is supposed to be paired with a LH applicance. 

OTOH, the TA688 is readily available from various HP resellers.

Take a look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-StorageWorks-P4300-P4500-LTU-Kit-Lefthand-SAN-Software-8-5-TA686AB-/121093117347?pt=US_SAN_Disk_Arrays&hash=item1c31b655a3

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Hello a_o,

I found AX694_63101 sold as unopened package, guaranteed to activate on HP portal, on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/290985267597 . Since they are the same thing (in theory) and since the item you gave doesn't ship to Greece, is that the item I'm looking for? I mean, since it is unopened and never activated, will I face any issues on applying it on my HP licensing portal account for the unit I have?

Sincerely,

George

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
a_o
Valued Contributor

Theoretically, if the  LTU redemption has not been activated, you should not have any problems.
However, in your case, the MAC address of your P4500 might  already be paired with an activation code by another user.
Regardless, this is your only option to get the unit working. You might need to contact HP support to force the LTU to MAC address association.

David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

Have you tried just calling HP and getting them to activate it?

They might just let you do it...

Regards.

David Tocker