5467 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P4500 G2 with SLES 11 SP2

Massimo Viale
Occasional Contributor

P4500 G2 with SLES 11 SP2

Hi folks,

I'm trying to implement a P4500 G2 multi-site cluster, the servers connected to this "cluster" are a couple of Windows 2008 R2 (clustered servers) and also a system running Suse Enterprise linux 11 SP2.

Now, I'm familiar with Windows environment and on these systems everything is working fine, my problem is on the SLES 11 because I've tried to find out a kind of manual that describe my how configure that server, but without success; in particular my problems are:

• It is correct create a bonding with the two network card dedicated to the iSCSI network or is there other way to configure a multipath?
  • If I need to create a bonding, which mode I need to use? Mode 1, 4 or 6
  • How configure correctly the file multipath.conf
  • Did anybody have a kind of white paper that can guide me in the config?

Regards
Massimo

6 REPLIES 6
srinip
Occasional Advisor

Re: P4500 G2 with SLES 11 SP2

The two iscsi nics should not be bonded but be used as two separate initiators logging on to two targets.

I WORK FOR HP
Massimo Viale
Occasional Contributor

Hi Srinip,

thanks for your quick reply, but as I declare in my first post, I'm not a "master" in Linux environment so, have you a link that can guide me into this configuration? When I open the iSCSI Initiator tool in sles I'm not able to select which nic I need to use on which target or I'm not able to see that.

Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Setting up redundant connections with Red Hat Linux

http://blogs.hp.com/p4000/2011/04/11/setting-up-redundant-iscsi-connections-with-rhel-device-mapper/

Let me know if that works and please mark it solved.

HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

Emilo,

this is an HP Intranet link that shouldn't (and for me) isn't visible outside of HP. Furthermore, it is covering RedHat Linux and not SLES. We unfortunately do not state any support for device mapper with SLES.

I am sorry, but I must disagree with srninip: in general we do support NIC bonding as multipathing solution for Linux systems (and device mapper as additional option for RedHat).

So the way to go for SLES is NIC bonding. Which bonding mode depends on the network configuration (similar to the bonding options of the P4500 systems).

Stuart Green
Frequent Advisor

I have SLES 11 SP1 configured to a P4500 with two NICs for redundancy using multipath, if thats any use using round-robin.

It is not an easy config as I have gotten lots of info from different posts on internet.

I will document it for you in the attachment with references.

HOWEVER, I did read on a post that somehow this would not work on SLES11 SP2. I would like qualification of this though.

Prakash Singh_1
HPE Pro

Hi,

For StoreVirtual/P4000 SAN solutions querries you can also visit the HP Guided troubleshooting tree.

Below is the link for HPGT:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-905&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=304617&h_audience=smb&h_client=s-h-e010-1&h_audiencerestrict=true&lang=en&cc=us

I work for HP

Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!