4859 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

P4500 Multi-Site and VMware

KeithHubner
Occasional Contributor

P4500 Multi-Site and VMware

Hi,

I am looking to setup multi-site DR by using a combination of the HP Lefthand P4500G2 storage solution and vmware vsphere4.

There are 4 nodes in the production environment, in site 2 I want to utilise some old lefthand storage and I was wondering if this will work if the storage is a different size? I am aware that I would need the same number of nodes but not sure if they would have to match exactly to that in the production environment.

Alternatively I could move 2 of the 4 to the DR site but this is not my first choice.

Also has anyone got or used any good guides on how to set this up with vmware? Unfortunately I can only use HA and not FT.

Thanks,

Keith

3 REPLIES 3
KeithHubner
Occasional Contributor

Re: P4500 Multi-Site and VMware

BUMP

Anyone out there??

K

lando_uk
Advisor

The available cluster storage will shrink to disk space of your smallest node, so if you have 4 nodes with 10TB on one site and 4 nodes with 5TB on another, you'll have 20TB available in network RAID10, so you'd lose space on your 10TB nodes. (I think!)

Frank Verstraten
Frequent Advisor

It is possible to add nodes to a cluster with different size. Be aware of the fact that everyting performs as the slowest node.

So maybe it is wise to build a new cluster. Also it is not possible to add nodes with smaller disks to a cluster with nodes with bigger disksizes.