New Discussion

Re: P4500 Multiple CSV Volumes Poor Performance

SOLVED
Go to solution
mcc_will
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Thanks for your help.  This seems to be working in my testing. The DSM needed to be updated and then on my test volume it started showing up as DSM in the CMC.  I redid the connection on that server to try to alieviate any other issues.  It'll be a slow process to get to everything.  I now have 7 iSCSI sessions (6 DSM).  Someone must have messed up the install the first time.

One thing that was weird was that the VM I'm using lost the iSCSI sessions and access to the server the first time.

Thank you very much for your help.

Bill

oikjn
Honored Contributor

glad to hear its working now.

You should probably add a 2nd NIC each of your Hyper-V servers for iSCSI.  I thought the hyper-v validation tests required it, but I guess not.  Adding the 2nd nic will give you more throughput for each server to the storage and also provide link redundancy so your LUNs don't go down even if something happens to one of the links.

For me, I have both nics in the same subnet and keep the gateway removed from the connection so only iscsi traffic flows.  I'm not doing multi-site to the hosts so there is no need for those connections to talk outside of the local targets on the same subnet.

mcc_will
Occasional Advisor

Hey,

There's actually many nics in these the 4 internal NICs are teamed for management. Then 4 SFP+ 10Gb ports split across two cards for iSCSI and network access.  So, there's a 20Gb iSCSI connection to the SAN and 20Gb to the rest of the network.  As well as 20Gb between sites in the Multi-Site SAN.  Of course redundant so speed would be reduced to 10Gb if something fails.

Thanks,
Bill

oikjn
Honored Contributor

hmm...  not sure how that one is handled.... I didn't think Microsoft supports iscsi teamed and instead suggest that you do not team and use MPIO to handle failover and throughput.  If you have two 10gb for network and two 10gb dedicated for iSCSI, you should remove that iSCSI team and then setup each NIC on its own following the HP manual.