1748142 Members
3782 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4500 Snapshot size

Martin_Seto
Occasional Contributor

P4500 Snapshot size

We have 2 P4500 storage in different locations and are utilizing the snapshot feature to take daily snapshots of a volume and then copy it to the remote location.

The volume is 330GB in size and presented to a windows 2008 server acting as the intranet portal (running Microsoft Sharepoint). We configured to create a snapshot daily.  My issue is that the size of the daily snapshot is much bigger than my expectation.  The snapshot size is around 20GB in work day, and during Sataurday or Sunday (when suppose no one should be using the server) there is still a sanpshot size of 5-6GB. 

In my understanding the snapshot should only contains the change of data in block level.  Is it normal that the snapshot is such a big size even if it is not a work day?  Any method I can use to reduce the snapshot size?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Jamester
Occasional Advisor

Check if you are replicating page file.

Martin_Seto
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, since I replicate the system disk also, so I believe it really include the page file.

But in our DR procedure we need to replicate every drives of the server to the remote, so it seems we cannot prevent from replicating the system drive also....  So does it mean that there is no method to avoid this problem?

Jamester
Occasional Advisor

You could present another volume to that server and move the page file there.

Do not snap or replicate that volume.