1752511 Members
4429 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

P4500 Storage Array

D1806584
Occasional Visitor

P4500 Storage Array

We have a couple of incidents regarding the P4500 Storage array, where the SA seems to loose its own OS. (We are using SAN IQ V 9)

The SA  will boot to the  DHCP screen, and then restart again.

We have completed a Quick System Restore successfully, however upon re-configuration of the two on board NICS one of which will not work. If we configure the first NIC thereafter the IP responds correctly but as soon as the second NIC is configured, both IP's will not work (they are on the same subnet.

Is there a problem with my SAN IQ, am I mis-configuring and why does the SA loose its own OS.

All system boards, backplane and memory have also checked and re-seated as per the H/desk At HP.

Many Thanks

dave

6 REPLIES 6
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

Re: P4500 Storage Array

Certainly sounds like a hardware issue on surface. What do you mean when you say "SA seems to loose its own OS" ? Also, you should only configure the first NIC and then make a bond between the two NICs. You however should not loose connectivity even if you have two NIC active outside of a bond. You also want to check if you have the right NIC configured as SANiQ interface and storage system discovered properly via that interface.

Jitun
HPE Pro

I would suggest, reseat the P400/P410 RAID Controller card.
Move it to a different Slot on the Raiser Card.

This I think should solve the issue with booting to OS.

Regarding 2nd issue, check connecting the nic 2 only..
Try nic 2 on the working switch (which was connected to nic1)
Try ... isolating the issue..
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

D1806584
Occasional Visitor

Hi ajamil786. When you start the SA I believe that the SA boots to its own "cut down linux OS" giving you a network CFG menu,so you can configure your NICS and Speed(my terminology maybe incorrect). Within the menu I would configure each NIC witha seperate IP address. re-start the SA

Then connect using the CMC I would then make the Network Bond between NICS.

So are you saying we chould only configure one of the NICS with an IP and then Bond NIC2 thereafter, usually after a quick restore the second NIC is set to "DISABLE". Do you configure to DHCP?

Thanks for your reply. 

D1806584
Occasional Visitor

Jitun,

We found if we change the Default G/way address( Nic 2) the Network services restart and it clears the issue. Is there any other way of Restarting the network services manually??

I will double check the Raid controller card.

Thanks

D1806584
Occasional Visitor

We have just only configured one IP to the first NIC and have bonded sucessfully to the second NIC within the CMC.

We'll test the re-seat of the Raid Controller.

D1806584
Occasional Visitor

Update...

I have re-seated the Riser card as suggested and re-powered on still working OK at this point. Then I relised I'd left the Plastic Airflow off, so powered off and put back in...Powered ON, guess what it won't boot it needs another Quick restore... I think its looking like hardware on this particular issue. Cheers