3774 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

P4500 TRIM/DISCARD support

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

P4500 TRIM/DISCARD support

Hello,

I wanted to ask if there are any News on TRIM/DISCARD functionality on P4500 ... We are using several thin provisioned Partitions - and they are growing every day because of the lack of trim/discard ...

Hope this Feature will be implemented soon? (As most other SAN already can do it ...)

Thank you

Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum Moderator

21 REPLIES 21
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: P4500 TRIM/DISCARD support

++ can't agree more.  This is a feature I would have expected in v10.  At this point this is more of a basic feature as opposed to an "advanced" one.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

I hope they don't neglect P4000 Features in favor of the 3PAR ... wouldn't be the first time that some features would be retained in favor of bigger Machines ... Hope I'm wrong with this thought ...

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

I don't think that HP will keep this for 3PAR only since P4000 is also a major platform for HP...

My opinion (no I do not work for HP) is that it will be implemented in 10.5... 10.0 was mote a hardware refresh than a software one, I assume that 10.5 will be also a bigger software update, just like it was the case with 9.5...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
KurtG
Regular Advisor

3Par strips the "0" in the asic and don't even write the "0" to disk.

Lefthand must implement this in a other way (writing - finding - removing) as the architecture does not have a asic.

Having said that I suspect this is functionallity HP i looking into and it is obviously harder to do this in a "scale-out" storage approach compared to legacy two-controller systems. Hopefully it can be implememented without to much of a performance impact. Might also be a "G3 only solution"? (I don't know)

KurtG

(I'm not working for HP)

Gediminas Vilutis
Frequent Advisor

I've heard rumours that v10.5 is going live with new StoreVirtual (4530 and 4730) models in two weeks (on February 19th). Don't know anything exact about new features (SMI-S might be supported, otherwise why new OS version number?). Regarding TRIM/DISCARD/T10 SCSI UNMAP etc., that is for sure not in this release.

Gediminas

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

would really love to get official Statement from HP about this Topic. If we can hope for this substential feature or not ... (also plays a major role in a future expansion or new acquisition of SAN) because Thin-Provisioning is NOT useable without this ...

Andreas
KurtG
Regular Advisor

This information would generally not be avaliable without current a NDA. (Closer to product launch more and more people will know something)

Generally HP (and others) talks very little about futureware. I guess this is related regulations by the stock exchange.

Doesn't mean that I don't want to know, but I can see their side of this information flow also.

KurtG

Gediminas Vilutis
Frequent Advisor

Regarding information disclosure and stocks, etc. - that is probably related. Or not, only HP might tell.

But some NDA or 'partner only' presentations do get leaked on internet and mighty google indexes them :) Try search for StoreVirtual part numbers 4530 and 4730, some info is already present

Gediminas

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

beginning to fear they never gonna implement TRIM for P4000 ... which makes thin provisioning pretty useless ... :-/