1748009 Members
4757 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P4500 create cluster, standard or multi-stie, and other questions

NXS
Valued Contributor

P4500 create cluster, standard or multi-stie, and other questions

Hello I have 4x P4500 G2 nodes, what type of cluster do I create ? I have 2 locations about 5000 meters apart and 1 iscsi ip range between both sides. Do I use the primary site notion in the CMC to group servers and storage nodes to the same site.
Do I use a FOM and where do I put it. And how do I recover from a site disaster where lose 2 nodes and the fom @ the same time?

K
7 REPLIES 7
Jitun
HPE Pro

Re: P4500 create cluster, standard or multi-stie, and other questions

In order to create a MultiSite cluster, you need to check the latency between the 2 sites...
Ping times between the 2 sites should be less than 2 milli seconds.
Yes with MultiSite you should group Storage Nodes and Servers together based on Site.

FOM is recommended to be installed on the 3rd Site if possible.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

NXS
Valued Contributor

Hello I only have 2 sides so the fom must be on 1 of those sites.
Why do I need a multi-cluster for 2 local sites, with the sam subnet and in saniq9 I can have site notion win a standard cluster?
teledata
Respected Contributor

The reason to deploy multi-site across a campus is to protect from a power or network failure at a particular building within your campus, while maintaining storage connectivity to hosts that are still up and connected to the cluster.

Typically the 2 "sites" are on different power circuits and/or backup sources.

Yes, the Failover Manager needs to be either at a 3rd (phys or logical) site, or at one of the primary 2 sites. (remember, the site that still has communication with the FOM is the site that will remain UP during a link failure)

Multi-Site SAN has to comprise of (2) subnets. I have done 2 stretched VLANs and presented BOTH subnets to BOTH sites. Each subnet has its own VIP for your iSCSI gateway, and if you design both subnets to stretch to both sites then you can use BOTH VIPs in your discovery. (this gives you some storage pathing redundancy if you are using virtualization for example).

Another consideration is that you cannot use Network RAID 5 within multi-site. You must use Network RAID 10 (2 way mirror) because of coure to maintain availability during a site or link failure there must always be 2 complete copies of your data.

If you are not concerned about distributing your SAN across multiple buildings within your campus, then the multi-site SAN may not be the configuration to employ.

http://www.tdonline.com
NXS
Valued Contributor

Hello I don't see the purpose of using a multi-site cluster even If you have 2 sites with 2 power supplies in saiq 9, you can do multipathing on the same subnet, you have notion of sites, and 1 iscsi subnet is easier
Jitun
HPE Pro

HP StorageWorks SAN/iQ software version 9.0 sites can be defined to contain specific host servers which enhances the load balancing and path management capabilities of the SAN for all MPIO and load balancing modes. Some of these enhancements were available previous to 9.0 but required multiple subnets to be used in the multi-site SAN. All load balancing improvements can now be used in either single subnet, or multi-subnet clusters.

When servers and storage nodes are assigned to sites using the HP P4000 CMC:

HP P4000 DSM sessions are automatically connected to only the storage systems that are in the same site as the host sever. This reduces overall session count and improves performance by favoring IO connections to storage systems that are more local to the host.

All other (non HP P4000 DSM) sessions are automatically load balanced to storage systems in the same site if the volume is not already being accessed at another site.

I would recommend using the MultiSite functionality so you can have you Hosts talking to local Nodes (which should have much lower ping times compared to the Other location)
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

agahemre cinar
Occasional Advisor

hi, first we setup standart cluster with 2 node, when we add 2 node to our disaster side can we convert them to multi site cluster?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

if they are in the same management group then you COULD convert it to a multi-site cluster, but unless you have a requirement for syncronous data replication offsite, I would highly suggest you stick with your DR site as asyncronous.  There are just many complications to creating a multi-site cluster that you might not want to deal with.  You will suddenly have to be very concerned about bandwith, LATENCY, and availability of your link.  These issues are not as critical with a remote replication site as with a multi-site cluster.  If you go multi-site, figure your SAN speed will be limited to the latency of your WAN connection as well as the bandwidth of the SAN connection.  Typically a company that is only running off of two P4000 series systems doesn't want to pay for that kind of direct connection between locations unless you happen to have a campus and you control the fiber between "sites".

Its most likely best to just keep your two new VSAs in their own management group and run remote replication between the groups and read up on the failover/failback procedures for that setup.