1748288 Members
3521 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P4500 with Windows 2008 Native DSM vs. HP DSM

bruce24
Occasional Contributor

P4500 with Windows 2008 Native DSM vs. HP DSM

We just setup a P4500 cluster with a microsoft 2008 R2 cluster servers. Each MS cluster node has (2) 10 GB NIC's going to seperate swithes. We've enable Adaptive load balance for the P4500 NIC bonds. I'd like to know which is best to go with: the microsoft native mpio/dsm or the hp dsm with the ms mpio? Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Alex Ball
Occasional Advisor

Re: P4500 with Windows 2008 Native DSM vs. HP DSM

I have the same setup as you Bruce and I installed the HP DSM on all my nodes (eight). I got the impression from the rather poor documentation that in version nine you should install the HP DSM.
Jitun
HPE Pro

Microsoft Native MPIO only permits multiple connections from the host to the VIP, with the HP MPIO DSM you get multiple connections from the host to each storage node directly, and to the VIP.
Moreover HP MPIO DSM also knows where the data is (which node has the data) hence getting the data directly from that Node.

Hence HP MPIO DSM Recommended.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

epiblade

What would the upgrade process be if my hosts are currently using the Windows 2008 R2 Native DSMs, and I am in the process of upgrading SANiQ from v8 to v9?  Our current setup has 3 hyper-V hosts and 1 management server running CMC.

Would I have to install the HP DSM on each individual hyper-V host?

Jitun
HPE Pro

Yes. Install the HP DSM on each individual hyper-V host
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo