5371 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4500G2 LH 10.5 --> 12 Update

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

P4500G2 LH 10.5 --> 12.5 Update

Hello,

we got 2 P4500G2 Nodes with 1 FOM on ESX. Actually running LH-OS 10.5.00.0149.0.

Now we want to upgrade to LH-OS 12 so we can use new TRIM/DISCARD Functionality ...

Are there any known Upgrade Problems with this configuration?

Do we have to pay attention to the correct Upgrade-Path or does the Updater itself choose the right Upgrade-Path?

Anything we have to watch out for?

Thank you

Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

4 REPLIES 4
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

It would be better if you  Upgrade all the patches for 10.5 and then upgrade to SANiQ 12.

I have seen an issue: Installation failed. An error was encountered with the configuration, RAID, or parts (Exit Status 189) in the same setup and in that case the work around is to re-install the SANiQ 12 FOM directly.

Let me know if you face the same issue or you may open a case with support.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Alright - this week is the week we upgrade from 10.5 to 12.5! ;-)

I read that old FOM is no longer supported and should be replaced by newer ones ... can/should the new FOM be installed / added to Management Group before the Update to 12.5 or after the Upgrade? (Can a 12.5 FOM be added to 10.5 Management Group???)

Can there be problems when the new FOM is added after the Upgrade? (As 12.5 won't work with the old FOM - is it critical? no quorum?)

Thx for info

Andreas

oikjn
Honored Contributor

you should be able to remove the olf FOM and install a new v12.5 FOM into the current management group.  I would install a new FOM and have it ready to join the group and then simply use CMC to remove the current and then add the new.  the total transition time should be under 5 minutes...  during that time, you are technically at risk of having a quorum issue with only two nodes, but that risk is so small I would not be concerned unless this is literally controlling the life support system for the space station.

As for the rest...  nothing special about upgrading from v10.5 to v12.5.  Once upgraded, you are not going to see TRIM function working on LUNs without a refresh scan on the servers the LUNs are connected to so they pick up the fact that the LUNs now support trim.  The proceedure for this depends on the OS of the servers.  I"m an all M$ shop and they said you only needed to do a disk rescan in disk manager, but I found I needed to disconnect and reconned the LUNs to get trim functioning...  I can tell you that once you upgrade and if you create a NEW LUN, it will work...  the issue is just with LUNs created prior to upgrading to v12.5.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Unfortunately the upgrade did not work out as expected ... when we tried to do the upgrade the upgrade failed with "Detected that the NSM lh1.domain.com had the following error: com.lefthandnetworks.Hardware_API.CommandFailedException: An unspecified error occurred. Call Technical Support for further assistance.. Trying to reboot to fix it." for all LH Nodes.

HPE was able to do the upgrade with Remote Hand-On and CMC in Support Mode step by step - one LH Node after the other ... did take quite some hours - but as there was no downtime this was no big deal ...

Finally, with the help of HPE, the LHs are running V12.5 - Space reclamation is activated - and we are back on 55% used Storage (from 95% ....)  - so in the End - I'm happy! ;-)

Andreas