1751976 Members
4661 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P4500G2 -- Mixing 1TB and 2TB hard disks

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

P4500G2 -- Mixing 1TB and 2TB hard disks

We have a P4500G2 with 12 x 1TB drives and a P4500G2 with 12 x 2TB drives. We are thinking about mixing the hard drives (6x1TB and 6x2TB on each storage) and have network raid between these 2 units with SAN/iQ.

At the moment we have on the first 6 bays the 1TB drives and on the other 6 bays the 2TB drives. By creating a RAID10 array on SmartArray with all 12 drives selected, only ~5.8TB are usable.

Is there any particular order of the disks which will make SmartArray to utilize all the drive space available in RAID10 (which should be ~8.7TB normally)?

Sincerely,

George Vardikos

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
4 REPLIES 4
HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

George,

the StoreVirtual/LeftHand systems are appliances that are delivered with fixed configuration. The changes you want to do are not supported. Therefore, it shouldn't be a surprise that it is not working as expected.

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, however it wasn't usable to me since I haven't come up to the point where LeftHand OS is installed (in order to consider this a software incompatibility).

What I'm saying has to do with the P410 controller, this could happen to a standalone DL G6 server (if P4500 doesn't use LeftHand OS it is considered one).

Sincerely,

George Vardikos

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Ok, we installed LeftHand and it seems that mixed SATA hard disks (mixed size) is supported, because it was able to create with 6x1TB and 6x2TB an ~8.2TB RAID 10 array. It is good to see that LeftHand could manage that :)

Sincerely,

George Vardikos

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
oikjn
Honored Contributor

can do and support are not the same thing.  That said, on an old system that is out of support anyway, I guess getting HP to support it isn't really your concern.  In theory any recognised disks should work so it makes sense that your setup runs, but if you did that on a new node that was under support from HP I'm sure they would never honor a request that had any issue that might vaugely be caused by the underlying storage.