3837 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P4800 G2 iSCSI and Mangement Network

Xubair
Occasional Contributor

P4800 G2 iSCSI and Mangement Network

Hi,

I have a host machine connected to P4800 via 2 x iSCSI adapter my iSCSI NEtwork is an internal one. This machine also have two  NICs connected to Production Network. I want to install CMC and FoM on this machine. Please guide me what needs to be done on Production Network Card to access P4800 for management.

6 REPLIES 6
oikjn
Honored Contributor

you need to have network access to the iSCSI network.  This can either mean the CMC is on a host inside the iSCSI network or it simply means that you have a gateway inside the SAN that allows SAN traffic to pass outside.  for the HP solution, you really are supposed to have a gateway, so your it shouldn't really matter where you install the CMC as long as you can ping the SAN devices you are good to manage.

Beyond that, if you are looking for a walkthrough on how to setup the SAN, read the manual, it actually gives a pretty good instruction list for doing what you are asking.

IainS
Frequent Advisor

Frankly I've always found it pretty crap that these SAN units don't have a separate network port for management only that can be on a separate network. It only needs to be 100 Mbit but it's not like 1 Gbit would add a lot to the cost. Ideally you want to completely isolate your storage traffic from the rest of the network, and because there is no management port you basically can't.

EqualLogic units certainly have a separate management port and it seems like a mandatory requirement to me.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I don't agree with that one... An additional port (even 100Mbit) would mean that you need additional ports on your network switches which raises the cost on network side. I had some customers complaining about "all those ILO ports"... With P4000 there would be ànd an ILO ànd a mgmt port... Would be too much...

Knowing that there are multiple other solutions (all mentioned here several times on the forums) to make a nice and performant solution for multiple environments...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Casper42
Respected Contributor

I disagree Bart.

The P4800 is based on the BL460c G6 and includes a Dual port 10Gb LOM that supports Flex-10 vNIC functionality.

So pairing a P4800 with Flex-10 or FlexFabric Modules from HP, you could carve out 1Gb NICs for Mgmt and use the remaining 9Gbps for iSCSI traffic and it would cost you exactly NOTHING in additional hardware.

According to the P4800 specs last I checked, Virtual Connect like Flex-10 is required anyway.

I think you are confusing P4800 with P4300 or P4500 rackmounts where there is no FlexNIC functionality.
oikjn
Honored Contributor

but in that case, what would that virtual management port get you?  I'm all for dedicated mgt networks, but in this case, you have iLO/console access in case the P4800 locks up, so what is the point of adding an additional NIC just to configure the device and maybe use SNMP.  If you are worried about having an alternative method for accessing the computer when the iSCSI network goes down, that is what iLO/Console is for.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Casper42,

You are right in the case with the P4800 model...

But all the other (rackmount) models don't have this functionality and have only 1Gb or 10Gb ports...

And the StoreVirtual mgmt trafic has always been in-band since the time is was still Lefthand... Don't know if it will change one day... You should ask the product manager...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !