3460 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P4xxx HP Store Virtual Storage Application Aware Snapshot Design Questions

Florian Schmutz
Frequent Advisor

P4xxx HP Store Virtual Storage Application Aware Snapshot Design Questions

Hello.

We have 2 MGM Grp. On the Primary we have multiples Lun's. Some as Vmware Datastores and some native for Oracle DB's.

We plan to implement Remote Copy to the Secondary MGM Grp.

So i does RTFM of the Normal Remote Copy Implementation guide an then the Aplication Aware.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03686192.pdf

Now do not understand waht it means with the Requrmenets.

"The Application Aware Snapshot Manager only suppoprts single-volume datastores."

Waht does it mean with single-volume datastore?

Is it that only vmdk's from the same VM (only one VM) can be stored on a lun? And its not working when multibles VM's are stoed an one Lun (Datastore)?

The onter thing waht i dont understand:

I have 2 Luns witch are maped directly to vm's over the windows iscsi initiator in the vm. This 2 Luns contains Oracle DB's.

How does i replicate this? Just setup a normal Remote Copy without Application Aware on the CMC ? Or is it possible to handel this over the Snsaphsot Manager witch should be installed on the Vcenter?

Tanks for your Support

Greets

Florian

4 REPLIES 4
Florian Schmutz
Frequent Advisor

Re: P4xxx HP Store Virtual Storage Application Aware Snapshot Design Questions

any one experiance with apllication aware snapshoting or with remote copy of vmware enviroments?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

might take a couple days... this isn't a really active forum.  I'm not much help here since I don't deal w/ vmware so I can't tell.

You can't try creating the snapshot through vmware and see what happens?

Florian Schmutz
Frequent Advisor

hmm thank you for your reply ;)

Hm yes i could but its a productive enviroment so i want first know wath i should do befor i does ;)

So like Plan, Build, Run (or better Plan, Build, Test, Run) ;)

hmm so have you a hint for me to get informations on a other platform witch has a more active community for P4xxx Systems ? XD

Tanks

Florian

oikjn
Honored Contributor

wish there was, but this is about it.

I get your desire to test in non-production.  I have almost no experiance in ESX so this might be impossible, but could you create two new LUNs, move one or two VMs over to them and then try issuing an application aware snapshot?  Assuming you have no test environment, that should give you enough isolation to test the functionality to make sure it works while limiting its impact to one or two VMs should it not work as you thought.

I know for hyper-v+DPM, the backup agent issues a snapshot request and then the LUNs with vhd files on them get app-aware snapshots generated which the backup then uses to create its backups and then deletes.

Final hint is to call support if you can't test on your own as you will need a lot of patience to get an answer from here.