1752795 Members
5901 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Partitioning for VSA?

Rhidian
Advisor

Partitioning for VSA?

Should I create a septate partition to be used for the ESXi install and the VSA and one for the shared storage or should I just have one single partition?
6 REPLIES 6
Rhidian
Advisor

Re: Partitioning for VSA?

Anyone able to provide some advice?
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

I normally install the VSA in its own partition and then create the required number of data partitions for the VSA 'disks' according to the required capacity.
Rhidian
Advisor

I'm considering getting two extra disks and using them in a mirrored configuration with ESXi and the VSA installed and then using the remaining disks as the SAN space. Would that be a better solution than having everything installed on the one set of disks?
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

I would certainly consider that option. I have used DL380 G7 servers with the additional drive cage in the past populating the first bay in each cage with a 72GB drive and the other 14 with 300GB drives. Create a mirror pair on the 72GB drives for the ESXi and a vmfs for the VSA itslef. Then RAID5 arrays on each group of 300GB disks for vmfs for the data drives of the VSA. This configuration works as a DR replication partner to a SAS Virtualisation SAN.

Regards, Mike.
Jitun
HPE Pro

That is a good option but as the VSA OS itself will only require <10 Gb of Disk Space .. the additional space on the mirrored Drives would be wasted, if they are dedicated only to the VSA.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

RonsDavis
Frequent Advisor

I use a mirror set for the VSA and ESXi. If you read the docs sharing the data disks is not a supported configuration. Just buy the cheapest drives you can for the OS.