1752790 Members
6500 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problem Removing Offline Failover Manager

ajones1
Visitor

Problem Removing Offline Failover Manager

I recently built up a new three-node HP VSA (LH OS 12.6) cluster, but I had to run it with only two nodes for a couple of weeks while transitioning. In that interim, I ran a FOM to maintain quorom until the third node was in-place.

I made the mistake of not cleanly removing the FOM before the server was brought in, and now it's in a "Manager Offline" status, and I don't see any way to remove it from the CMC. Is this something that I am going to be able to take care of, or will I need to invoke HP support? I have a 3-year license that should cover the software support for it, but I'm not sure what my serial number is or where to find it since I never physically received software and the order e-mails don't have a serial present on them, which has complicated my attempts at getting support (was just hung up on and pretty frustrated with hpe support right now).

6 REPLIES 6
oikjn
Honored Contributor

if you can't bring that FOM back online, it might be worth trying to build a "new" FOM with the same MAC address and IP and see if it recognises it then as a messed up FOM and allows you to either bring that new FOM into the management group or remove the dead one. 

Otherwise, yes the only other option is HPE support to go in and edit the management group configuration manually which we can't do.

ajones1
Visitor

I'd considered that, but have had some issues getting the MAC address set statically since it's in the vmware reserved network address range.  I also wasn't sure if some registration piece on the FOM side would be missing and cause an issue.

I might be able to pull some magic and get the old FOM back up temporarily. I pulled the SAS controller, drives, and old vSphere install that was on a USB key when I upgraded this host, so I could migrate everything off of it, power it down, and install the old hardware back in it temporarily.

I don't love this idea, but it might be my best option. I'll give you a follow-up after I either make some progress back with the MAC address cloning or get the box reverted back to its old hardware config temporarily.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

its all a matter of what takes more effort....  sounds like it might be easier to just contact support since they can fix the problem manually relitively quickly.

The faked FOM is just a long-shot which should work as it does with regular nodes, but if its that hard to get together then it isn't worth trying... likewise for the removed FOM... getting that online is the gauranteed way to remove the FOM with least risk to the management group, but if recovering it is going to waste your day and potentially not work, just call support since you already paid for them.

Salah_M
Occasional Advisor

Hi guys,

I had same issue but with a HP SV3200 Multi-Site Cluster.

The FOM (VM under Hyper-V) was corrupted and visible as Offline from the SV3200 Console.

No way for me to remove it from the management group until I switched the SUPPORT MODE (Maintenance Mode).

To access to Support Mode, click on "StoreVirtual"\"Support", click on Edit, then change Support mode from Off to On. Then you will be able to remove your corrupted (or unreachable/offline) FOM.

That's solved my issue.

Hope it will help someone.

Cheers,

mvbk
Occasional Advisor

Salah_M, can you tell me where I can remove the FOM after enabling support mode? I can't seem to find the correct place. Since the FOM is unreachable, my web interface is very slow due to a known issue.

Thank you.

zemlickas

I am also having an issue removing an offline failover manager.  I am ok doing a complete reset on these if that's what it takes.  Ultimately, my issue stems from trying to perform an update which cannot be applied indicating "Missing storage systems".  The two nodes are online but  the FOM is offline and the only thing I can see it referring to.

FWIW, I've brought up a new FOM on the same mac address and IP address but it does not recognize it.