1748198 Members
2717 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Problems with two node P4300 G2 and a Failover Manager

aproost
Occasional Contributor

Problems with two node P4300 G2 and a Failover Manager

I'm currently having a client the has has two HP P4300 G2 San storage solutions. See atachment.

The two nodes are configured at two sites.

There is only one VIP configured.

The FOM is running on one of the Hyper-V server in the FailoverCluster.

They use it for an Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V Cluster and a separate Windows 2008 R2 / Exchange 2010 Cluster.

The problem is that when a LAN-connection or a San goes down. The cluster is going down.

What is configured wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
a_o
Valued Contributor

Re: Problems with two node P4300 G2 and a Failover Manager

First, even with the picture, there's not enough specific information to say why the cluster is going down.
i.e what exactly do you mean by cluster is down? What's does LAN connection go down mean?

Suffice to say that Multi-site SAN setups do no protect against network failure per-se. At some point, if you have a SPOF in your network, you'll experience a failure in connecting to your targets or CMC if the network goes down.

Technically, as long as the FOM can 'see' the node that did not go down, your cluster should stay up - if you've followed best practices.
Take in your setup, any nodes that are in Site B will see the cluster go down if there's a true network failure between the two sites. Same as any CMC that are running in Site B.
However, in the same failure scenario, the cluster should stay up to any CMCs and initiators in Site A.

aproost
Occasional Contributor

I'm moving the FOM to an other site so it can monitor the sites and nodes betters.
oikjn
Honored Contributor

the problem with your original design is that if you put the FOM on one of your nodes of your cluster, if that node goes down, you lose TWO votes and you will lose you SAN as well. Hopefully you have one other physical computer that can run hyper-v and you can put the FOM on. I put it our FOM on our backup server.