108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RAID advise pls

SOLVED
Go to solution
regi_p
Frequent Advisor

RAID advise pls

Hi i have 3 X G10 servers with (2 X 480 RI SSD + 4 X 1.2TB 10K RPM 12G SAS)  per host and wanted to use the 3X 4TB VSA licence pack. What's the best RAID to do on SSD & SAS please advise 

Cheers

RAID 1 for SSD & see below what's the best option 

RAID.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoveday
Valued Contributor

Hi there,

It really comes down to your workload. I'd normally suggest using RAID5 for the SAS disk as you'll usually get additional RAID protection via NRAID. Definitely RAID1 for your SSD, you don't want to lose a node just because of a disk failure, etc.

One thing to note is that I don't believe you get Adaptive optimisation with the 4TB license, might pay to check with your HPE rep. Without AO Storevirtual can't automatically move data between the two disk tiers. The only other way to utilise the SSD would be to use the Smart Array features which require additional licensing, such as Smart Cache (i think).

Cheers,

Ben

regi_p
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Ben see blow re: AO is enabled also I wanted to create s small partition for VSA do this on SSD or SAS and say 30GB is OK ?

HPE StoreVirtual VSA 2014 Software 4TB 3 Pack LTU

Q5T60A

• 3 licenses for HPE StoreVirtual VSA Software
  • Up to 4TB capacity per StoreVirtual VSA
  • Includes Adaptive Optimization feature
  • Not stockable by the channel, must order as drop ship and have single end-user quantities represented on the order
  • Installable on vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Linux KVM
  • Installation media and documentation downloadable from hpe.com/storage/downloads/storevirtual
  • Includes 3 years of software support for each license
  • NOTE: For system requirements, see Hardware Prerequisites.

HPE StoreVirtual VSA 2014 Software 4TB 3 Pack E-LTU

Q5T60AAE

• 3 licenses for HPE StoreVirtual VSA Software
  • Up to 4TB capacity per StoreVirtual VSA
  • Includes Adaptive Optimization feature
  • Not stockable by the channel, must order as drop ship and have single end-user quantities represented on the order
  • Installable on vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Linux KVM
  • Installation media and documentation downloadable from hpe.com/storage/downloads/storevirtual
  • Includes 3 years of software support for each license
  • NOTE: For system requirements, see Hardware Prerequisites.
regi_p
Frequent Advisor

Hi is this ok 40GB on SAS for VSA VM, the rest RAID5 SAS 3.24TB for Tier1 & RAID1 SSD 447.10GB for Tier0

Can I get a 60 day full trial 10TB/host licence till i get my 4TB x 3 licence also just Jumbo fram's ? 

appreciate any help 

raid.JPG

BenLoveday
Valued Contributor
Solution

Yeah that should work fine. Good to see the AO is included with the 4TB license, that must have changed more recently?

Just remember with the AO, it doesn't pin the data purely to the SSD tier and will only move hot data into SSD - also not 100% sure if all writes hit the SSD tier first, the documentation I've read doesn't make this very clear.

Also from experience I'd recommend avoiding using the MEM driver with vSphere - we've had nothing but trouble with it. Just stick to RR and iops=1 for your multipathing. Not sure about the Hyper-V though.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Ben