1748060 Members
5063 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Rebalance Gateway Connections

jpiscaer
Advisor

Rebalance Gateway Connections

One of my customers is running a six-node Multi-Site Cluster with a single Virtual IP (VIP) for optimal load balancing.

I'm tasked with preparing a failover test. One of the scenario's I'm working on is simulating a power failure of the first site. This will result in a couple of things:

- Within a couple of seconds, all the Gateway Connections pointing to the now failed storage nodes will be assigned to the surviving storage nodes (i.e. the storage nodes on the secondary site)

- VMware HA will restart affected virtual machines on the surviving hosts (i.e. the hosts on the secondary site).

My main concern is this: after failover, all the Gateway Connections will be hosted by nodes on the secondary site. After I restore the primary site, I want to rebalance the Gateway Connections, so that the nodes on the primary site will be assigned half of the Gateway Connections. Other than the 'RebalanceVIP' CLI command, which seems to be highly unreliable, I do not know of any way to reassign Gateway Connections to storage nodes on the primary site

Does anyone know of a reliable method to accomplish this?

2 REPLIES 2
RonsDavis
Frequent Advisor

Re: Rebalance Gateway Connections

It is my understaning if you are running San/IQ 9.0 you shouldn't have to use the CLI command anymore. 

jpiscaer
Advisor

Re: Rebalance Gateway Connections

Can you elaborate a bit more on why this shouldn't be necessary on SAN/iQ 9? Will it automatically rebalance? Is there a document available on how SAN/iQ does this?