1752648 Members
5679 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Reclaiming Space from a thin provisioned netword raid-5 volume

SOLVED
Go to solution

11.5 is out - and again - no trim/discard/unmap support for Lefthand ...

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=StoreVirtualSW#sv-existing

PavelOn
Occasional Advisor

Can you update via CMS? 

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

no Update to 11.5 possible at the moment - they pulled back the Update due to problems ... shame on HP - the 2. Major Upgrade they have to pull back because of problems ...
Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

@Bart_Heungens wrote:

Hi,

Cannot tell you anything in detail but 2014 will be a good year! ;-)

Kr,

Bart

well... 2014 is soon past..... indeed, was a very good year, but not if you owned a lefthand. But 2015 will be a better year, that's the year we DISCARD our lefthand, no matter if it supports discard or not. A shame that big companies buy products and then development stalls, stalling a way, that sales promises 3 years ago haven't been held. That disappoints me about HP. 

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi Patrick,

I understand your feeling, I am also waiting for the 12.0 release... It was announced at VMworld, I have seen it running at HP already (so it is there) don't know why it takes that long to have it published on their FTP servers...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

I won't pretend to be an install large enough for HP to care about us, but count us in among the group that won't be renewing our support agreement.  We are actively looking for alternatives since this product line seems like a dying line...  has anyone on the Storeserv team actually ever posted on this forum?  Its pathetic that there is not a single active person on the team that redularly posts here.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Too bad to hear... I have seen the roadmap for 2015 and for me it proofs the product is not death... At all...

Let it be clear that these forums are not official support forums from HP, if you have an issue you should always open a support case, and for features and release of software, contact your account manager... I did ask and got this information...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
oikjn
Honored Contributor

bart, I"ve been a big fan of the system and an active participant on this forum.  I wish I could maintain that optimism you have, but there is little practical reason I see to do that. 

What is the point of this forum?  Why have it if not for a place for support, advice, and ideally a less formal way to interact with the developers?  I'm not saying there needs to be 24/7 monitoring of the forum, but the only reason for this forum is to provide insight and support.  If it wasn't here, everybody would be forced to open up to get their questions answered and likely flood support with redundant questions and noise.  Most major developers get that, not sure why HP (or at least the storevirtual team) doesn't.

Why is the roadmap hidden?  Why not publish it or make new upcomming features known.  Microsoft does it, intel does it, the only one that doesn't is Apple and unfortunately they are no apple.  There are three reasons I see why they might not want to publish this.  (1)  They aren't confident in meeting any timeline (I assume this is true as they were so off with v11) (2) They aren't confident they could ever deliver whatever they put on the timeline. (3) They think a roadmap will give their competition information they could use to their advantage...  well I think when v8.5 was current that might have been almost valid, but these days they are so behind they should take some notes from others to just catch up with the rest.  I"m looking at you dedupe, unmap, 2+ tier AO, storage offloading, SMI-S (no it doesn't count as a feature until its fully supported).

Bet nobody from StoreVirtual will chime in at all here since they probably will never see this.

This thread has been open almost a year.  In february you said 2014 was going to be a good year.  Looking back, do you think it was?  I don't.  Why would 2015 be any different?  I wish it would be because the VSA product was an industry leader and I really want to continue to use it, but the writing on the wall for us is that it just won't make sense in the year to come as better alternatives emerge.

If any HPer cares to comment here or send me a PM, I can (and would love to) be persuaded otherwise.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

oikjn,

I share your feelings... But if there is a manager inside HP that decides to put priorities outside this forum, I can only mention it when I meet those people however I cannot change it... In some forums it seems to work (like Oneview), on the storage forums there are some people like hpstorageguy that follows as well but most of these people do it outside their job assignments...

I have seen the software functioning, probably it is a question of testing and validation before it goes out... Don't know all the HP workflows...

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

@oikjn wrote:

I won't pretend to be an install large enough for HP to care about us, but count us in among the group that won't be renewing our support agreement.  We are actively looking for alternatives since this product line seems like a dying line...  has anyone on the Storeserv team actually ever posted on this forum?  Its pathetic that there is not a single active person on the team that redularly posts here.

Hi @oikjn - there are a few people from the team that post here but not sure it's obvious from their screen name.  Also, I assume since we're in the StoreVirtual forum, you meant the StoreVirtual team (and not StoreServ). 

I'm here (but also active on tons of other sites so not checking on a daily a basis) but if you ever need help, please reach out to me: hpstorageguy at hp dot com.