Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreVirtual Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Copy question Part 2

Bobby Gillette
Occasional Advisor

Remote Copy question Part 2

Let's say I have a 600GB volume that I have remote copies of on another cluster. Under the volume use tab I see that the 5 remote copies sizes are as follows:

531GB
206MB
998MB
2GB
975MB

Leading to a grand total of 535GB.

Should we decide to completely get rid of the above remote copies, we would reclaim that 535GB of storage correct?

I question the validity of taking space on each cluster for remote copies as a viable DR method given the fact that the clusters are located in the same building, same row even.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
2 REPLIES
IanWSmith
Occasional Advisor

Re: Remote Copy question Part 2

Yes, as long as you delete the bottommost snapshot the space would be reclaimed.

When you set up a remote snapshot schedule you can specify how many snapshots you want to keep on the primary and remote side, so you could specify only 2 snapshots are kept in your DR cluster.
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

Re: Remote Copy question Part 2

Hi Bobby,

If you were to get rid of the remote copies you would regain the 535GB in the cluster that is storing those remote copies.

I also would question the use of remote copy in the scenario that you describe and would consider putting all of the units into a single cluster, and then assuming that you are using two way replication, ensure that they are split into seperate racks to maintain the volumes even if you were to lose a whole rack.

Regards, Mike.