New Discussion

Re: Remote copy between HP P4300G2 and Store Virtual 4330

SOLVED
Go to solution
cidic
Advisor

Remote copy between HP P4300G2 and Store Virtual 4330

Hi Geeks,
                   I need any advise/guides that might help me achieve my solution.. I have two nodes of hp p4300g2(one cluster) on my live environment(site 1). Now Im proceeding to purchasing of a new store virtual 4330 for my back up/disaster recovery site(site 2). I would like to know how I can set up replication of volume snapshots from site 1 to  site 2... In other words from site 2 with my store virtual 4330 how can i remote copy volume snapshots of my site 1 data - I know it is supported here but just that I'am inexperienced here. ...
I would appreciated any references/guides to assist me here.
Thank you heaps.
 Tom

6 REPLIES 6
oikjn
Honored Contributor

tom,

the user guide or even the CMC help menu will tell you how it can be done.

I'll give you the summary....   make an new managment group for your remote site.  Make sure you and your two SAN sites can all route to eachother (IE correct gateway and DNS information and firewall/VPN rules).  Search for and log in to BOTH management groups from CMC.  Once done, right click on the LUN you want to remote snapshot and select "create remote snapshot schedule"...  it will guide you through the process in a pretty basic way. 

While you can make two clusters in the same management group, I highly suggest you make two different management groups so you don't have to worry about quorum issues when your primary site goes down.

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

remember you need iscsi ethernet even if you are doing fiber channel for storage!
cidic
Advisor

Thanks oikjn - So in my case I want to remote snapshot volumes from my live environment hence I would do that on the management console for my current HP P4300G2?..Please correct me if Im wrong?

Also, Are there any basic requirements for my current Management and Cluster to have?.. in order for it to allow remote snapshots to my new site management/cluster group??? 

Thank you once again

Tom

oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

your only requirements are that you have both managment groups at supported revision levels... preferrably both at the same level.

The other requirement is that everyone much be able to communicate with eathether via tcp/ip and be signed in to both management groups at the same time...  which generally means a functional gateway on all your nodes and generally DNS as well. 

you can use your current CMC installation that you use to connect to your current system and connect to the new one at the same time.  Just add the IP addresses of the new system to the "find systems" window.   As long as your computer can communicate with both management groups and their nodes CMC will create the required connections between the management groups and setup the remote snapshots accordingly.

The only tricky part to that might be that remote snapshots have to be assigned to a "volume" which means at the time of creation (as part of the popup window for setting up a schedule to remote snapshot a volume), it will force you to create a volume on the remote management group....  its really simple, but if you are unsure of a step just use the "?" on the screen and the help does a pretty good job.

cidic
Advisor

Hi oikjn - Thank you for the clarfications, Im in a much better position of understanding now.

Thank you

Prakash Singh_1
HPE Pro

Hi,

For StoreVirtual/P4000 SAN solutions querries you can also visit the HP Guided troubleshooting tree.

Below is the link for HPGT:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-905&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=304617&h_audience=smb&h_client=s-h-e010-1&h_audiencerestrict=true&lang=en&cc=us

I work for HP

Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!