New Discussion юеВ

Renaming a volume (possible?)

SOLVED
Go to solution
RWS-DNB
Occasional Visitor

Renaming a volume (possible?)

Hi,

We have a couple of p4300g1 and g2's. we are installing a new set of g2 soon and a couple of volumes have to be moved from one cluster to another cluster in the same management group.

The volumes have the clusternames in their names, so when the volume is moved to anuther cluster, the name is no longer correct.

So, is it possible to change the name of a volume in a cluster?

5 REPLIES 5
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Renaming a volume (possible?)

Hi,

This is not possible... The Management Group and Volume name are in the IQN used in the iSCSI initiators to connect to the volumes, so you can't change these...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
RWS-DNB
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thanx for the quick reply. But it is possible to reconnect the iSCSI connection to the server with another namen.

So would it be possible then to disconnect iSCSI --> rename the volume --> reconnect iSCSI (with the new iSCSI name).?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You can change the Volume name inside the OS, but not in the CMC on P4000 level...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RWS-DNB
Occasional Visitor

Hi bart, again thanx for the information. I don't think hacking in the os is what we want to do.

I think we will create new (remote) volumes and sync the data to the new volume. so when the data is over we make the new volume primary and connect that new volume to the server.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

That is indeed the safest way... Good luck!