New Discussion

Replacing a Caché Controller's battery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dack
Visitor

Replacing a Caché Controller's battery

Hello, I need Help.

A support Customer has an P2000 which shows an "The status of 'Cache 1' Backup copy power source (batteries) is 'Defective' " error.

So I've proceed to replace the battery. Then Ive Try to boot the Storage with no success. It didn't recognize it's hard disks. So I've returned it's original battery and no error showed.

Many Moths after, Storage shows same error, again I tried to replace it´s Battery with same results (Storage doesn't boot 'cause didn't recognize HDD). But, this time, when I put back it's orginal battery, error didn't disappear.

So, any body can help me to fix this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
arun_r
HPE Pro

Re: Replacing a Caché Controller's battery

Battery is not a replacable part in P2000 series MSA controllers.

Reconfirm the model number / product number of the unit. 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

arun_r
HPE Pro

Log a case with HPE support team once you have product serial number and model number details.

It seems to be a hardware issue that requires further investigation:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

It sounds as if you are replacing the cache battery on the Smart Array card connected to the P2000 array. It has been my experience that you need to be sure the cache battery is new and has not been sitting on a shelf for some time. If the battery has discharged before being installed into the Smart Array you might experience different or unexpected results.

As mentioned previously, if needed you should gather logs from the host (ADU/AHS) and log a case with your product number.

Cheers,

Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Dack
Visitor

Sorry. I'm Wrong. The correct model is Storage Works P4500. P/N: 652753-B21
Dack
Visitor

Thank you, but the device is no longer un support with HPE.
So I can't open a case with them.
Dack
Visitor

Thank you. I suppose it could be the problem. In fact I don't know the time that the battery stays on shelf or it's charge level.