9579 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SMP support for P4000 VSA?

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

SMP support for P4000 VSA?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if multiple vCPUs (SMP) are supported for the P4000 VSA? I have done some testing with multiple vCPUs and the VSA appears to use both, but not equally. I do not see any information regarding SMP in the documentation other than resource reservation recommendations for a single vCPU.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Wgy do you want to assign multiple CPU's to the VSA? The only thing I know that HP recommends is assigning more memory to the VSA if you want higher amounts of diskspace per storage node...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
5y53ng
Regular Advisor

In some instances I have seen the CPU usage approach 100%. It may be that the VSA would benefit from SMP support. I'm curious what the official guidance from HP is regarding SMP support.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

The only best practice that I know from HP is to set 2000 MHz assigned to the 1 vCPU...

In my environment I see sometimes alerts of the CPU being at 100% but that is not for long... And I didn't  assign MHz cycles to the VSA...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Will HP comments officially through the forums or is contacting support the best option? Thanks.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Very very rarely you'll get an HP comment on the forum. If you want something official you'll need to go through the support.
aqualityplace
Advisor

I am also look for an anser to this. When using the vmware VAAI features the CPU often spikes and flat lines at 100%.

I am battling with HP to get my SAID number so I can log a call, I should hopefully get this sorted early next week. just need to get to a scanner so I can send the info.

If you get anything out of HP before then I would very interested. These VSA's need more CPU power for VAAI and resyncing volumes 2GHZ just isnt enough

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

People still use scanners? What's wrong with a photograph for something like this?

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

I always figured HP locked the VSA to a single vCPU so you'd reach a point where you'd want to buy a hardware P4000.

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Thank you for your responses.

I have done extensive tests with IO Meter and multiple virtual machines. The VSA definitely benefits from adding a second vCPU. Looking at the ESX performance charts inidicates the VSA does appear to favor one vCPU over the other, but I cannot tell what is going on inside. The VSA might be running some proceses on one CPU and some on others. The imbalance between the vCPUs is especially notable during restripe/resync operations, but the second vCPU eliminated the guest CPU alarms in ESX.