4201 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

SanIQ 8.5, waiting for a node to come online

Martin Knudsen_1

SanIQ 8.5, waiting for a node to come online

Hello folks.

I need some input on a problem i´ve run into:

2 nodes (p4500 G2)updated to saniq 8.5 will not join in a 2 node cluster. The first node comes online but the second one will not. The manager reports stooping/starting on the failing node. It is not node specific. The nodes are brand new, no prior use. I updated them to saniq 8.5, gave them their ip adresses and they show op in CMC 8.5 fine, but then success stops. I can add a node to a single node cluster, but the next node just hangs with manager stoping/starting. I have tried resetting the nodes to default to no avail. Any ideas apart from reflashing the nodes to 8.1?
5 REPLIES 5
René Loser
Frequent Advisor

Re: SanIQ 8.5, waiting for a node to come online

Hi,

Recommendation:
Set Port Speed fix -> not "auto"
check cables -> Cat5e for Gb
Don't use Jumbo Frames

Best regards,
reNé

HP Presales Storage Switzerland
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Try destroying the cluster you created and resetting both nodes to no management group. Then create a management group and cluster using the problem child one. Then add the other again. Why do you think a rollback to 8.1 would work? Just wondering.

Only other idea would be network issues. (wrong subnet mask maybe) Can each of the units see each other?

Beyond that, I'd place a call to support so they can log into the unit and see what is causing it to hang.
Martin Knudsen_1

Problem solved:
The problem was the MTU size set to 9000 on the nodes but wasnt enablet on the switch. After i enablet support for jumbo frames on the switch, everything jumped into place.

Classic case of looking to long on a problem to see the solution right in front of me.

The reason why i thought about going back to 8.1 was because of the need to eliminate unknown factors, CMC 8.5 being the only new thing in an ortherwise known configuration that usualy works.

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone.
Martin.
Martin Knudsen_1

Problem solved, case closed.
René Loser
Frequent Advisor

In general I recommend to setup without "tuning" like jumbo frames.
Tuning is o.k. -> afterwards ;-)

regards,
reNe